Birthdays !

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

When I switched on my laptop this morning, I made a point of going to the bottom of the Board Index section to check birthdays.
Alas for my vigilance, nobody is having one.
I suppose the upside of this is that none of our esteemed company is a year older :D
Pa Snip
KG Regular

:D that's called sods law.

Mind you last two days have not been much better. Thursday there was a birthday. Someone who joined in 2012, made 8 posts in total, and hasn't been active since one month later
Yesterday the person whose birthday was shown seems to have stopped being active a year after they joined. Some time ago as I recall.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Pa Snip, this seems to be the case nearly every time with me as well, when i check there is no Birthday, or if there is a Birthday, when i click on the name to see when they last visited, it is normally a long time ago. If they haven't been on the forum for over three months, i don't bother with Birthday wishes.

But what does upset me is, when i do miss one of our long standing members.....so i do say a big sorry to anyone that i have missed.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Morning OH

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Shallot Man
KG Regular

I tend to rely on OH to remind me.
Primrose
KG Regular

On the question of missing forum members who no longer post, it's similar to organisations or groups who have several hundred members on their mailing list. They may even continue to pay their annual subscriptions but never turn up to meetings or events, so give a false impression of the health and activity of that organisation.

I suspect there are members on this forum who,ve completely forgotten they ever even signed up to it. As this is "spring cleaning" time of year, is there any way our techie team could email forum members who haven't posted for 12 months, remind them of their membership and ask if they want to continue remaining members of the forum? It might encourage them to renew their interest
Last edited by Primrose on Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Yes, it often either Peter or OH who posts

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Good idea in part Primrose.

Although I would think it unlikely there would be a mass membership clear out because that could have a detrimental effect where people thought it too small to warrant being part of.

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Me being the cheeky sort of fellow that i am, if mine was missed, i would be wishing myself a very Happy Birthday and i'm sure others would then join in.... :) or maybe not... :( :wink:

As you can probably guess from the amount of posts i have done this morning, it is still wet from snow and sleet coming down quite heavily.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

SNOW !!!!! Oh my word.

Sort of bright here and at least stopped raining for now although roads still wet from earlier. Dread to think what soil is like

Marigold
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:On the question of missing forum members who no longer post, it's similar to organisations or groups who have several hundred members on their mailing list. They may even continue to pay their annual subscriptions but never turn up to meetings or events, so give a false impression of the health and activity of that organisation.

I suspect there are members on this forum who,ve completely forgotten they ever even signed up to it. As this is "spring cleaning" time of year, is there any way our techie team could email forum members who haven't posted for 12 months, remind them of their membership and ask if they want to continue remaining members of the forum? It might encourage them to renew their interest

I had not posted for months then got the message re the new web page and here I am.. so reminders do go out... Just life changes ....
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've reached an age when birthdays are quite easy to ignore.
Primrose
KG Regular

Plum Pudding. Moi aussi ! Although as a friend of similar age commented to me recently 'i suppose it at least reminds us that we've been luckier than some who didn't make it this far.

I remember once boasting as a kid to somebody and trying to pull rank over something "Well I'm older than you so i should go first"
I'll never forget her quick answer. "Well, that means you'll be dead first".

Being older didn't seem to be such a big advantage after that! :(
Pa Snip
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:I've reached an age when birthdays are quite easy to ignore.

So had I PP, most definitely so.

Funny thing is though we all know we are on the path to departing at some point but when you actually get someone telling you outright in no uncertain terms that you've seen better days and wont make it, its amazing how important making that date became once again. Anything to prove the experts wrong lol.

Just like when you were a kid looking forward to a birthday or Christmas. It becomes just something else you want to achieve in life.

Next target is getting the entries in for the local horticultural show in September :D ( Oh and winning some classes of course) :roll:

Marigold
KG Regular

Pa Snip wrote:
PLUMPUDDING wrote:I've reached an age when birthdays are quite easy to ignore.

So had I PP, most definitely so.

Funny thing is though we all know we are on the path to departing at some point but when you actually get someone telling you outright in no uncertain terms that you've seen better days and wont make it, its amazing how important making that date became once again. Anything to prove the experts wrong lol.

Just like when you were a kid looking forward to a birthday or Christmas. It becomes just something else you want to achieve in life.

Next target is getting the entries in for the local horticultural show in September :D ( Oh and winning some classes of course) :roll:

Me too re every year being an achievement to be treasured. I was ignoring my age until 70 arrived,then was faced with the arithmetic and started seeing it as a blessing that many, including my own family, never reached. One of my occupations is walking round the very old graveyards we have here in Ireland. So many young deaths. We are blessed and every day is precious. Bedtime here! Been a blessedly busier day with some planting out done... seem to do less each year but then more knitting etc! Have a lovely evening and hope it gets warmer. HAS to sometime, it really does.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic