Now it is Spring Time (Confirmed)

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

peter
KG Regular

Well!

That's ten rod thoroughly Merry Tillered. :D

Top was dry, almost dusty, deeper down was sticky and wet, had to do an offset finish to break up my own spoor.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Another cold day here again. Some bright spells and some rain showers.

I sowed some parsnips this morning and pegged some fleece over them.

Looks as though a couple of the peas are showing through :)
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
retropants
KG Regular

are you sure it is spring (confirmed)? My feet are frozen in my office right now, and a friend has just let me know it was snowing properly in central London a little while ago this morning. :shock:
Pawty
KG Regular

Must be Spring .... Just had snow in Hampshire :shock: . I know we get a late frost in mid May, but snow in April....
Primrose
KG Regular

Went to our usual outdoor exercise group in the park this mornng and we had some brief sleet in between the sun. The wind has been bitter though and my row of peas must be wondering why on earth they have bothered to push their shoots above ground.
I was in a garden centre yeaterday and saw somebidy buying half a dozen tomato plants. I do hope she wasn't planning to plant them outside yet. All my garden sown seeds are so far wisely staying tucked under their soil duvet.
retropants
KG Regular

it was just snowing here for about 10 mins. I walked to the shops to buy coleslaw, but they didn't have any. It was bitter. (and so was I!!)
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Spring? Frost and sunshine, hail storm, thunder and lightning, rain, snow and now the sun is coming out again. Not exactly gardening weather.

I had an enjoyable afternoon in the greenhouse yesterday. I weeded and loosened up all the border soil and filled my bottomless tomato pipes, sowed spinach, beetroot and radishes and even managed to catch the big fat cutworm caterpillar that has been decapitating my lettuces at night.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Most of the day I have been doing my sun dance, its been really bright but accompanied by a fairly brisk wind with the occasional raindrops falling on my head.

Just in case of a frost I popped up plot to check if first early spuds that I put in on April 2nd were poking their leaves through yet.
Having put them in 4inches own and then mounded them up just a little I was not expecting to see signs of life yet.

Glad I went, quite a few just showing leaf tips. Mounded up just a little more to cover those tips.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Mixed weather here today as well.

Started frosty, then we had sunshine, rain, hail, more sunshine, and now it's raining again :roll:
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Just had a shower of hailstones. :(
Westi
KG Regular

Had it all here today as well! Hail, sleet, snow, thunder! But over quite quickly thankfully then the sun came out again. More snow today than we had all winter!

Fingers crossed that the brevity of it all has saved the wee plants I have in. The softer ones have environmesh or really small gauge net on them so hopefully OK! Will see though, as just seen tomorrows weather prediction & more of the same to come!

Westi
Westi
Clive.
KG Regular

Arrived home to find our locality white over....here's our front lawn this evening under an inch of hail....

Clive.
Attachments
Hail on lawn 27-4-2016.jpg
Hail on lawn 27-4-2016.jpg (31.54 KiB) Viewed 2805 times
Clive.
KG Regular

Lawn still white over this morning. -1.3C showing on weather station at 6:30am.

Clive.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

8 degrees here yesterday, and the day before. Probably 10 degrees if you could shelter from that cold northerly. Last two days I sat in my cosy-corner having a nice beer late afternoon stripped down to a t-shirt.

Nice snow.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Pawty
KG Regular

Woke up to a hard frost thismorning...... Hope no one has been tempted to put those garden centre / super market sold tenders in the ground ..... :shock:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic