BACON

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

Pa, I expect the empty shop will be turned into yet another hairdressers. We have about five already, Nobody starting a new coiffuring business round here seems to realise that the speed at which hair grows bears no correlation to the number of hairdressing businesses available to cut it. :lol:

What we need is something useful like a small hardware shop but High Streets these days seem to be filling up with hairdressers, estate agents or coffee bars, mostly service industries rather than shops that actually sell commodities.
Last edited by Primrose on Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robo
KG Regular

Our town centre consists of around four banks and charity shops, outside the town centre on four different retail parks we have every shop imaginable but you need a car to get there, the town centre used to be busy but not anymore
dan3008
KG Regular

I dont think we have a proper traditional butcher left in sheffield :( at least not one that I know of. Its a shame, I used to only buy proper butcher meat...
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:Pa,
What we need is something useful like a small hardware shop but High Streets these days seem to be filling up with hairdressers, estate agents or coffee bars, mostly service industries rather than shops that actually sell commodities.

I remember when your High St had a hardware shop down the bottom end on the left hand side.
I still see one of the guys who used to work there on a regular basis, in fact he works in a hardware store 5 minutes away from where we live.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Johnboy
KG Regular

I appear to be the lucky one as we have a butcher with his own abattoir in the neighbouring village but strangely I go to another butcher in Knighton Powys where I buy genuine Welsh Lamb raised by the butchers brother in Welshpool which is superb. I also belong to a meat club and my beef, pork and poultry come from there. I buy meat partially butchred and then I butcher my own joints.
When I had many mouths to feed I used to make my own dry cured bacon but there would be too much and get wasted so I now by it from my butcher who makes his own bacon and gammon which again is superb.
JB.
Westi
KG Regular

We lost our local (well nearby butcher) just over a year ago - I could have cried! Not lack of custom but he had an accident, he made loads of £££'s I believe, since he got a mention in a magazine. Had all the fowl hanging out the front & would lug out the hung side of beef / pork / lamb to cut you off what you wanted.

We were lost & never adapted to the rubbish sold in the Supermarkets. Fortunately we have just found another nearly as good - fowl is prepared, but never bought much of that anyway, but meat is aged, however is pre-cut as well but the fat is creamy yellow & meat is dry. Ham to die for & pork pies are lush!

If you holiday down this way this year & want something for the BBQ pop into the little village of Bransgore - everything you would need even if the tiniest of high streets. Butcher, Fish & Chip shop, Co-op, bakers, newsagent, pet shop & a couple of others, including a charity shop with some great designer stuff at ridiculous prices. (Just in case you have a day at the races or a wedding coming up)! Pubs aren't bad either!

Westi
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

There are lots of traditional butchers in and around Sheffield Dan, but no where near as many as there used to be.

We've two left in Stocksbridge and I can think of several in Hillsborough, Penistone, Banner Cross, Chapeltown etc. Perhaps it's the town centre and studenty areas where they've died out. Try John Crawshaw's in the Hillsborough Barracks complex their main shop is here in Stocksbridge and they can tell you exactly which farm everything has come from and will get whatever you ask for if you can't see it on display.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic