Apropos Grape Roots - our old place.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

peter
KG Regular

Pa Snip wrote:
peter wrote:Demolished in the early 90s and replaced by a courtyard of houses.

That is a shame, but such is the way of 'progress' and economic needs of owners of such places.

The private owner sold up in 1950 to Herts County Council who turned the forty scre site into a Secondary Modern School, which they shut in 1990, in the end a developer gave them circa 3.5m for it. All the classrooms were demolished as well as the greenhouses and coldframe, to make room for executive housing and a courtyard block, everything else was converted for residential use bar a medieval barn with an archway through it which became two office spaces.

Guess what they're scrabbling round to try an resolve at the moment? Yup a shortfall of secondary school places.

Actually attended home as my secondary school and am currently organising a school reunion, so have dug out old pictures, so I'll share our old garden with you, circa 1964.

We had the good fortune to live in the bit you see the windows of, with this garden, it was a fading remnant of the lost life seen at many NT properties.
Attachments
ODF-040.jpg
ODF-040.jpg (125.96 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
ODF-244-1.jpg
ODF-244-1.jpg (117.9 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
ODF-042.jpg
ODF-042.jpg (143.41 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
ODF-218.jpg
ODF-218.jpg (149.47 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Pa Snip
KG Regular

I don't know about others but speaking for myself I probably would not have fully appreciated this place in my youth.
Certainly would not have realised how lucky I was at the time to be part of it I suspect.

Now I mourn the disappearance of such places in the name of progress.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

It's a bit different from the end terrace with gas lights and toilet down the yard with half the roof missing that I started life in
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

You were lucky, we lived.......... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:You were lucky, we lived.......... :)

.....in a Image
in a Image
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Pa Snip
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:You were lucky, we lived.......... :)

funnily enough so did we

SHOEBOX.jpg
SHOEBOX.jpg (210.35 KiB) Viewed 2010 times

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
alan refail
KG Regular

Nothing like a good glass of Imageeh, Josiah?
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
peter
KG Regular

Cheeky lot, it was our tied cottage.

Headmaster got to live on site on account of it had boarders.
waits for jokes about Oldherbaceous being a border.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic