Welcome Spring, Bits and Bobs - 2016.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

FredFromOssett
KG Regular

Pa Snip wrote:Question for OH

Anybody any compost brand recommendations

I’m using Clover MPC, bought from my local allotment association trading hut. This seems to be performing well this year, as it has in the past. As with any other MPC it seems prone to drying out more easily than is ideal, and being virtually impossible to satisfactorily re-wet if totally dried out through neglect in watering – and be honest, we are all guilty of this at times :oops: . But this seems to be a problem with all MPCs.
For the last couple of years I have aided water retention by mixing the MPC with John Innes compost; 2 parts MPC to 1 part JI, adding JI seed compost to the sowing mix and JI 3 for potting on. I also add a little vermiculite or perlite to this mix to aid aeration.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Thanks Fred

Two in favour of Clover so far then

My understanding of perlite is that it is good for water retention whereas vermiculite makes good surface covering and aids aeration

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Pa Snip, Clover for me as well.......As Alan said, always consistent and no bits of wood or other rubbish in it....and at four bags for £12, good value as well. Like fred, i always mix it with John Innes whether it be No 1, 2, or 3, i must admit, i don't mix the seedling mix. I always just mix a 60l bag of clover with a 25l bag of what ever John Innes i need at the time....as i do a lot of potting up. It really does make a first class growing medium.

I have been working at Marston Mortaine today, very heavy clay, so got in a bit of a mess.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

You guys that use Clover MP, do you buy it locally or online.

Cant seem to find any retailers of it around this area

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I'm lucky, Pa Snip, i buy it from Hunters farm shop, it's about six miles away.

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Clovers website tells me nothing, appears not to be working properly. Search for stockists facility appears to be NFU, and I don't mean National Farmers Union

Edit Correction, Now appears to be working but nearest stockist 20+ miles away. Might give then a call to see how much they charge.

FredFromOssett
KG Regular

Pa Snip wrote:You guys that use Clover MP, do you buy it locally or online.

I get mine from my (fairly) local allotment association trading hut, who obviously buy in bulk, but I don't know whether they get it direct from Clover or via a third party.
alan refail
KG Regular

Pa Snip wrote:You guys that use Clover MP, do you buy it locally or online.

Though I am at the end of the world, I am lucky enough to get it from my local garden centre a couple of miles up the road :D
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Pa Snip, the compost is that nice, i'm tempted to go back outside, just so i can run my hands through it.... :twisted: :)

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Laughing out loud OH.
You sure there isn't some kind of law against that, could sound kinder pervy to a judge.

robo
KG Regular

A fetish on compost , that could be a first
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I'm sure the judge would make an exception for me.... :)

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Thanks for the replies

Gave up on the Clover MP front. Got the website to work in the end but nearest listed 'stockist' was 18 miles away and was shown as a farm.
Tried ringing but just kept getting answerphone.

Went to the nursery I mentioned recently that's near Burnham (Bucks). Made two trips with 6 x 125lt packs each time.
£7 per pack

Now got backache as the bags are all on the plot. Raised beds are at long last completely ready and awaiting new planting season.

DSC_411214.jpg
DSC_411214.jpg (90.51 KiB) Viewed 2704 times

DSC_411820.jpg
DSC_411820.jpg (74.15 KiB) Viewed 2704 times

Pa Snip
KG Regular

COMPLETELY FOXED

I know I have mentioned the signs of foxes on the allotment site before now. What baffles some of us is that we often find chicken eggs buried on our plots.
There is no great surprise about that but what does mystify us is where these eggs keep coming from, has to be one of the local houses>

What's so mysterious about that you might ask.

The eggs all have the required stamp on them (no not post office stamp thank you)
Sometimes these foxes must get confused because we find buried golf balls, but I am foxed by the occasional find as per the pic below showing something I found partially buried today

DSC_412830.jpg
DSC_412830.jpg (73.57 KiB) Viewed 2700 times

robo
KG Regular

Must be a clever Fox as he or she has planted onions as well as there are none growing in the raised beds on the picture above, is there a driving range near bye
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic