The Referendum

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

I know they say you should never discuss politics or religion in polite company but I'm becoming increasingly frustrated because we have this massive referendum issue coming up and it seems to me that some of the most important elements of our membership of EU like the common agricultural policy and our fisheries policy have not even been mentioned at the discussion table.

Am I missing something? . I'm not trying to be political here but I'm wondering how we can have a serious debate and vote when some of the most important aspects of our membership like these are apparently not even up for discussion ? I've seen little in the press from these segments arguing their case one way the other so how does Jo Blogg make up his mind when the leaders of these groups don't seem to be making their voices heard , or at least heard loudly enough for the public to understand the issues ?

Where does one go to get the information one would like to make a considered judgement without all the hype that inevitably clouds these decisions?
alan refail
KG Regular

I won't start a discussion on the referendum. But here's a good start for weighing up the pros and cons.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32793642
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Hi Primrose

I appreciate your concern about potentially being political. Fine line to thread
However, don't panic, your post is fully justified as being relevant to what this site is about

It comes under the category of 'Hot Potato' :lol: :D :lol: :D

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
richard p
KG Regular

dont panic, as the referendum draws near, assuming it actually happens, there will be an excess of half truths and downright lies from both sides .
imho all debate should be banned till a week before the vote
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Well as ever there seems to me to be too much coverage of the American primaries and election and little about Europe in general. This is due to the BBC love of all things American, one has just got to listen to radio 4 or the world service, any and all discussion programmes must include American experts and guests. Most UK people are far more familiar with American politics and culture than our neighbouring European countries' politics and culture. I am not anti American (I was taught English Language level by an American Lecturer) and welcome their approach to freedom but I would rather learn more of my European culture and the views of my fellow Europeans from the media especially the BBC than always the American perspective. As I am typing this and listening to BBC Radio 4 an American guest/expert is pontificating her opinion, I am not criticising her, it is the BBC that are to blame. If someone were to ask me who were the leaders of Portugal, Italy or Spain etc. I would not have a clue but I know all the Democrats and Republican candidates for the American primaries. I did not vote to join the so called Common Market back in the 70s as I believed our connections and loyalty to the Commonwealth were more important to us. This time things have changed in the world and I also would like the Common Agricultural Policy explained to the lay man so we all can reach an informed view before we cast our important votes. I look to the BBC to present informative broadcasts regarding this important decision but I shall not be holding my breath.

Barney
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Re 'Hot Potato'

Other media agencies are available, and Just as bad, why lay so much blame just at the door of the BBC.

I blame 'Letter from America' myself.

And that is as political as I am going to get.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

To put it in to it's simplest terms, no one really has the foggiest how things will turn out if we leave. And it would probably take three to four years to find out if we are better or worse off, if we do leave.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

Dear OH, that's it in a nutshell.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Geoff
KG Regular

I don't think the re-negotiation or the cost are relevant, I simply believe isolation is a none starter. The recession and world wide upheaval that is coming will make the credit crunch look like a blip so we need to stick together.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

I just want to see an impartial political expert with good communication skills write some 3 minute nutshell briefings!

Channel 4, BBC, ITV, don't care which, please take note!
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Pa Snip wrote:Re 'Hot Potato'

Other media agencies are available, and Just as bad, why lay so much blame just at the door of the BBC.

I blame 'Letter from America' myself.

And that is as political as I am going to get.

You are quite correct that other media are as bad, but I can choose not to buy the other media outlets, I have to pay the BBC licence fee whether I watch it or not if I own a TV. They have a particular responsibility to be impartial and educational.

Best wishes

Barney
richard p
KG Regular

not quite correct barney, if you tell tv licensing you dont watch live broadcast tv on your tv you dont have to pay to fund the bbc.
robo
KG Regular

We thought the same till my daughter got fined £400 for not having a licence even though she did not watch live television she invited the person into her house to prove to him they only watched utube ,he refused to enter her premises on the letter of prosecution he stated he was refused admission
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Doesn't matter if you don't watch live TV, if your equipment of whatever sort is capable of receiving live broadcast you have to pay for a licence or you are breaking the law.
John
KG Regular

I guess this referendum nonsense will just go on and on.
We will keep having referendums until will give the government the answer it wants ie the correct answer - just like in Ireland 2008 and 9.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic