Good times ahead, Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I know with the weather and life being rather stormy at the moment, it seems a long way off. But things will change and the better weather and the thoughts of a new growing season nearly upon us, gives one a huge lift and something to look forward to.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Storms are getting the better of us but as you suggest sunshine will arrive eventually and we can get growing properly underway.

Managed to get 3.5.hours in up the plot yesterday, got some ground turned over where I was removing the old strawberry bed.
Wet soil a bit heavy going in places but did achieve some worthwhile work. Saved some of the strawberries for my grandson pre-school who had put an appeal out on Friday for seeds etc for the vegetable garden they have. Sent grandson in today with enough seed for an allotment :D thanks in part to the free seeds on KG.

Chanced my arm this morning and went up plot again but as soon as I arrived and got the gate open it started spitting and the wind was just too chilly for me to risk being out in.

Just filled the bird feeders at home, now its wet and windy again

Taken this morning
DSC_3263-web.jpg
DSC_3263-web.jpg (176.81 KiB) Viewed 4459 times

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Monika
KG Regular

In all our over 30 years on the allotment we have never seen it as wet and muddy as this year, but no doubt things will improve and we'll be able to start all the spring tasks.

This week's task, weather permitting, will be a tidying up of our large wild patch at home which we always leave completely overgrown over winter to help the wildlife. But now the bulbs are coming through and everything needs cutting back. It's a messy job and so gratifying when it's done. The final job is always a close strimming of the whole area and the garden suddenly looks twice as large!
Westi
KG Regular

First time this year we have got the car bogged on the allotment needing a push from 2 guys & some asphalt chippings to get us out & have had lottie for 12 years.

Also have a membrane path that has been down about 6 years that is not draining in one spot & when I did a bit of investigating, hoping a bit of forking would help, found the clay layer that is about 2 ft down everywhere else & topped up with river dredgings full of sand for years before they opened that section of the allotment, had worked it's way up / slipped from somewhere to the surface. After nearly covering my butt in it as it was so slippery thought best make that job one for dry weather!

Not to worry though! Given me 2 new projects for the Spring / Summer! Always look on the bright side etc.

Westi
Westi
robo
KG Regular

I go down the allotment each day to collect the eggs and clean the chicken shed out, since October I have had to put wellies on to get to the chicken shed ,the chickens are living in 6 inch deep mud and there is no way I can improve it believe me I've tried
alan refail
KG Regular

Dear OH

Thank you for this optimistic new thread :) I have been semi-hibernating since way back last year and have been letting everything outside slide. I have been busying myself making marmalade and cakes and other things around the house. But outside the daily rain has been depressing, to say the least. The field is waterlogged and liquid mud around the hen houses. Fortunately, in this little sheltered spot, Storm Imogen was little more than Stiffish breeze Imogen! Isn't it odd how, when the storm, affects the south, it comes with this awfully upper-class name! The next one is called Jake! So watch out in the south again!

But your optimistic thread has given me a push! And it coincides with today's forecast of a whole week without rain :D
I bought some shallots yesterday and will get them in trays today to start rooting. I sorted out my seed list and sowing plan yesterday too. Before long the propagator will be up and running with tomatoes sown.

Thanks again.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Going for some compost today ready to start seed sowing. It's lovely and sunny with ice on the pond and all the birds singing and pairing up. The Robin is madly showing off as he's attracted two females.

I planted out the garlic from pots on a dryish day last week and got two rows of shallots in.

Doesn't sunshine and gardening lift the spirits :D
robo
KG Regular

What's going on, it's not raining ,it feels strange, managed to get most of the frame up for our new pollytunnel today still fighting the mud it's no fun
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Alan, lets hope we can all get back into doing what we enjoy most.

Although, did i see they are predicting sleet and snow for us at the weekend.... :D
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Here in Berkshire we actually had A Touch of Frost last night.

Just as well I had made every Endeavour yesterday to finish digging over and remove the old strawberry bed.

Have not got any Rosemary & Thyme on the plot to worry about

Future posts may be made in Morse

DSC_3284--web.jpg
DSC_3284--web.jpg (190.88 KiB) Viewed 4335 times

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
peter
KG Regular

-.. . - . -.-. - .. ...- . ... / -.. --- / -. --- - / - . -. -.. / - --- / -... . / .. -. - --- / --. .- .-. -.. . -. .. -. --. .-.-.-
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
alan refail
KG Regular

peter wrote:-.. . - . -.-. - .. ...- . ... / -.. --- / -. --- - / - . -. -.. / - --- / -... . / .. -. - --- / --. .- .-. -.. . -. .. -. --. .-.-.-

.. - / .- .-.. .-.. / -.. . .--. . -. -.. ... / --- -. / .-- .... .- - / -.-- --- ..- / -.-. .-.. .- ... ... / .- ... / --. .- .-. -.. . -. .. -. --.

00.jpg
00.jpg (11.68 KiB) Viewed 4328 times
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Pa Snip
KG Regular

lunch today will be ham sandwiches

peter
KG Regular

-.. . .- .-. / .... . -.. -.. .-.. ..- / - .... . .-. . / .. ... / .- / -.. . .- -.. / -... --- -.. -.-- / ..- -. -.. . .-. / -- .-. / .-. . --. .- .. -. ... / ...- . --. . - .- -... .-.. . / .--. .-.. --- - --..-- / .. - / .. ... / - .... .- - / -- .. ... ... .. -. --. / .--. . .-. ... --- -. / ..-. .-. --- -- / -.-. .-. .. -- . .-- .- - -.-. .... .-.-.-
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Pa Snip
KG Regular

peter wrote:-.. . .- .-. / .... . -.. -.. .-.. ..- / - .... . .-. . / .. ... / .- / -.. . .- -.. / -... --- -.. -.-- / ..- -. -.. . .-. / -- .-. / .-. . --. .- .. -. ... / ...- . --. . - .- -... .-.. . / .--. .-.. --- - --..-- / .. - / .. ... / - .... .- - / -- .. ... ... .. -. --. / .--. . .-. ... --- -. / ..-. .-. --- -- / -.-. .-. .. -- . .-- .- - -.-. .... .-.-.-

Very good Peter, I like it. I wondered what the smell was

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic