Cleaning dishwasher

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

JohnN
KG Regular

Bought a bottle of dishwasher cleaner. Would it improve the cleaning of the interior if the baskets were removed and cleaned separately?
dan3008
KG Regular

I found with mine it didn't make a lot of difference to be honest. If the top jets are attached to the top basket then it is probably better to leave that one in
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Motherwoman
KG Regular

And there's absolutely no substitute for remove the grotty filter in the base and cleaning it by hand... sigh....
peter
KG Regular

Motherwoman wrote:And there's absolutely no substitute for remove the grotty filter in the base and cleaning it by hand... sigh....

Too true, I'm the only one in my family who remembers that!
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
snooky
KG Regular

We have had a dishwasher for two years and I am still not sure about it.My son-in-law,who is a Domestic Appliance Engineer,swears by them,but it is useful having an on tap repairman in the family if anything goes wrong!!
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Geoff
KG Regular

I'm our dishwasher, well sometimes. I think the regular one is higher maintenance than me.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Glad to hear it Geoff, my partner is our dish washer and he is self cleaning. He does seem to have a problem with pans though.
Monika
KG Regular

It was my OH who wanted a dishwasher about 20 years ago and I was dead against, quite enjoying the splashing about in water after each meal, but now I would not be without one! And, do you know, I hardly ever clean the filter because we tend to wash or at least thoroughly rinse everything before putting it into the dishwasher. Stupid, I know, but it's just a habit.
Westi
KG Regular

I had to have a dishwasher when we upgraded the kitchen, but have only used it a half a dozen times! It takes so long & they dishes aren't dry at the end. We also live in a hard water area & found salt needed regardless of the blurb on the dishwasher tablets so a few failed tests.

I haven't given up on it, but looking at the back garden while elbow deep in suds is quite relaxing!

Westi
Westi
JohnN
KG Regular

There's only two of us so we find we use the dishwasher only every other day. It has six programmes with different times and temperatures and usually the "Quick" setting, about 30 mins, is sufficient, though it doesn't dry like the longer ones do. We used to use salt but then we discovered Lidl's W5 tablets, which contain both salt and rinse aid. They work fine (top in a Which survey) and much cheaper than the powder.
Westi
KG Regular

Thanks for the tip JonN!

I've tried other very expensive tablets on their own & they didn't work well. Just went back to salt at someone's suggestion & it does make a difference, especially to glassware having no spots on it. Bit of an awkward place is the salt thing on my dishwashers as well & the lid is a pain to line up. On the shopping list then & I may learn to love the dishwasher again!!!!

Westi
Westi
richard p
KG Regular

we find ours tends to get a fatty residue over time if we use the low temp eco program, using the proper hot wash theres no problem at all.
we wipe fatty plates or frying pans with a bit of kitchen towel before putting them in to remove the excess grease , and use all in one tablets.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic