Never too old - or just mad?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

With just a few years to go before I retire, I've applied for a new job & blow me down got shortlisted for interview. I have done the job before & probably feel they have to be seen as not ageist, but so hope I get it.

It's not an easy job, but what appeals is it is an autonomous post. With 30+ yrs in nursing I am fed up with managing a 'team'. Over the years I have seen an increasing lack of respect, egos too big to jump over, pathological lying, laziness, blame, inability to accept advise, not willing to do more to help out in a crisis, blatant bullying etc. I action, but with so much care so I don't get taken to tribunal that the message to them is blurred. (Equal opportunities has a lot to answer for).

Anyway everyone - just asking you to cross your fingers for me! Anyone else done something similar or for the same motive? Or just a general opinion on the change of values over this 30 year time frame?

Westi
Westi
robo
KG Regular

I wish you the best of luck westi hope all goes well for you
Bean
KG Regular

Fingers crossed Westi. A great idea to have a change for the last few years, I hope it works out.
Bean
dan3008
KG Regular

good luck :)
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Westi

Indeed, never too old nor is there any reason why it should be madness.

Good luck, hope you get it

Either way, have fun in the process.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Go for it Westi!

I changed career totally when I hit the big 50 and picked up 3 good, part time posts which have kept me out of trouble over the last 10 years! And I have been asked to do more... us older bods have a lot to offer.

Motherwoman
Diane
KG Regular

Great news....I do hope you get the job. :D
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Pawty
KG Regular

Good luck Westi!

I've been in my job for 15 yrs (environmental scientist). I love it and it is rewarding, however my husband and I will be taking over the family farm within the next few years. It's scary and exciting at the same time and I need to re train all over again (especially as I'll be running it as my husband will need to continue working in London). A daunting prospect but you're never to old to take on a new challenge - it helps keep us young.

Best of luck.
robo
KG Regular

Pawty, I envy you I keep looking at smallholdings for sale but I'm afraid I might be past it
dan3008
KG Regular

Pawty I'm envious too. I'd love to work a farm, but I'm not a good enough business man to handle that side of things
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Stephen
KG Regular

Hi Westi, I hope you get it.
I understand very well about no longer wishing to manage a team. I (largely) stopped doing that a decade or so ago when I went freelance and the improvement to my sence of well-being was wonderful, I expect that I am much better company now than I was then.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Bean
KG Regular

Pawty, that sounds like a wonderful opportunity. As you say, nothing like a bit of learning and a challenge to keep us young!! Very best of luck with it.
Westi
KG Regular

What sort of farm Pawty?

You must be so excited as well as scared, but I'm sure you will do the appropriate learning & seek advice when needed. Keep us up to date when you get it - I bet there will be loads of adventures!

Westi
PS: Thanks for the good wishes, I feel a bit like a student again trying to cram all the info in & pre-empt what particular questions they may ask.
Westi
Pawty
KG Regular

I must admit to mis leading slightly.... When I say farm, Its a vineyard with land (somehow always easier to say farm??) My husbands family have spent 30 years building it up. I get a lesson in something new every time we visit and the wine they produce is amazing. We want to continue with this plus a few extra things such as a new grape variety, some animals and working with local businesses.....

I will definitely keep you updated - and asking lots of questions!

Westi, let us know how it all went.
peter
KG Regular

In the UK Pawty or somewhere warmer?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic