A rare treat

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Motherwoman
KG Regular

I went out to a farm cafe with a friend yesterday and purchased from their shop some unpasteurized, un-homogenized milk from their Guernsey herd. I made porridge with it this morning, from the moment of pouring the thick creamy top of the milk to eating the last spoonful was a pure delight. What a superb taste... but hang on a minute when I was a child all milk tasted like this... and it's come to a pretty pass when what was the norm 50 years ago is now a rare treat. Is this improvement?
Monika
KG Regular

Motherwoman, when my children were small (more than 50 years ago), we lived next to a farm and always had unpasteurised milk, straight from the cooler, until the farmer stopped selling it off the farm and it all went to the dairy for pasteurisation. When I mentioned that to our doctor in passing, he said, 'If you ever saw unpasteurised milk under the microscope, you would never touch it again'. Hopefully, dairy farming and hygiene in particular have improved since then!
Motherwoman
KG Regular

well, haven't dropped dead yet so guess the milk must be OK :D
dan3008
KG Regular

Motherwoman wrote:well, haven't dropped dead yet so guess the milk must be OK :D

when I went to visit my father in-law in spain (Galicia to be precise) we had unpasteurised milk from momo (the local farmer's cow) every day. As far as I'm concerned its fine. :) Lovely stuff

I even got to milk momo one of the days :D
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

When I was small I used to go to my friend's grandfather's country pub and he also kept a cow and some poultry. As a special treat he would give us each a glass of milk straight from the cow. It was warm and frothy and tasted horrible. I always drank it though and said "Thank you Mr. Elliott"
Primrose
KG Regular

When I was a child I remember the Gold Top glass milk bottles with the thick layer of cream on the top which would be carefully separated off and used as substitute for cream with apple pies,etc. We usually use skimmed milk these days but recently I've had some post Christmas cream in cartons to use up which I've been having with my breakfast porridge and it certainly transforms it !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic