Green beans - what are they?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

robo
KG Regular

Westi , I sow a lot of things through weed membrane this year I've got cobra, cabbage, sprouts, cauliflower , spinach, and chard I have no option as we are surrounded by wild fields on a windy day you would think it was snowing with all the weed seeds flying over , the only problem I find is it slows the plants down but when you are growing for Autumn harvesting its ok
Westi
KG Regular

It cuts down on the weeding for sure Robo! Do you have issues with extra snails & slugs under it? I water the whole thing as well as the holes, as feel roots spread out more than down, just an observation when pulling things up at the end of season, but sure this also attracts more slimey things!

Westi
Westi
robo
KG Regular

No more than the rest of our plot I put pellets down before I spread the membrane when I remember
peter
KG Regular

robo wrote:No more than the rest of our plot I put pellets down before I spread the membrane when I remember

What Robo said. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Westi
KG Regular

Doh!

More evidence that Westi comes from the Homer Simpson gene pool at times! :lol: :lol: It is with some embarrassment that I say I never even thought of doing that!

Westi
Westi
Johnboy
KG Regular

With dwarf beans there is invariably a problem with slugs eating anything that reaches the ground aand also the beans sometimes get dirty with soil if it rains heavily.
There are two varieties Green Tepee and also Purple Tepee that carry the crop above the leaf structure and are far easier to pick and the slugs do not get to them and the beans do not come anywhere the ground.
JB.
Monika
KG Regular

I don't grow many dwarf beans nowadays (my OH is not fond of them, so I am the only eater), but I always crisscross the bed with string on short sticks or, if I have enough to spare, use short wire hoops all amongst them. The plants grow through it all and then "lean" against the supports, thus keeping the beans off the ground. That seems to work most of the time.
Westi
KG Regular

Thanks Johnboy

More black membrane on my Xmas list & Tepee beans to try next year!

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic