New eating and drinking habits.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

JohnN
KG Regular

What worries me is that if too many people stop drinking even more pubs will go out of business and many lonely people will lose their only place to regularly chat to other folk, play darts and dominoes and generally keep in touch with local society. I think it's called the Law of Unintended Consequences.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

My new years resolution is to keep struggling over to the Rugby Club bar on Sat & Sun lunchtime. Regardless of the weather.
Primrose
KG Regular

Is there any drink which you can safely take which doesn't trigger a trip to the bathroom around 3 am ?
What we need is a "reduced liquid content" beverage :lol:
JohnN
KG Regular

Primrose: Try Gin & Radweld. :D
dan3008
KG Regular

I'm tea total (well, coffee total :lol:) so alcohol is the one diet issue I don't have any issues with... That's why I studied nutrition, and why I nearly failed my dissertation when I refused to say food addiction is a myth 0eople use as an excuse to be over weight
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Richard,
I would be more than interested to know as to why you think the word moderation is a slippery word.
JB.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

The term "To moderate"or the word moderation suggests there are a set of brackets we can work to, if you are on the wrong side of one of those brackets then it's still moderate. Depending on your view and the subject.

Moderate can mean different things to different people.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Richard,
The word moderate means avoiding extremes and moderation means putting the avoidance of these extremes into practice.
If one finds oneself being excessive in a particular habit then it is up to the individual to set his or her parameter (or brackets in your words) and curb your excesses to live within the tolerance you have set for yourself. In plain words self discipline.
I do not find the word moderation to be the slightest "slippery." I am a person who firmly believes in moderation as do the vast majority of the population. Without moderation this world would be ungovernorable!
JB.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I don't disagree with that JB, not at all. Sometimes putting thought into text isn't as easy as reading from a dictionary. Some peoples moderate is likely to be some peoples extreme and some extremes are moderate depending on an individuals view and that is why it's a slippy word that is bandied about and perhaps misused.

If I ask you to moderate your language it's my view that you are being extreme though the parameters. or brackets, change with changing circumstances.

Just trotting back, here's a thought. Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in the hospital, dying of nothing.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Geoff
KG Regular

Moderation becomes, as Richard calls it slippery, when it is associated with addiction or other extremism.

If you have a tendency to addiction (something I am convinced is genetic) to say alcohol, moderation is rarely an option, any is the slippery slope towards excess however powerful you think your self discipline is.

Same applies to non-food behaviour too, if you are an obsessive stamp collector you can't just go and purchase one more set.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Moderation is liking a drink, addiction is needing it.
peter
KG Regular

Oh dear, says the Moderator, am I past the slippery slop and heading for the precipice? :twisted:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic