What do you call..............

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

alan refail
KG Regular

..............that no man's land of a week between Christmas and New Year?
You know, that week of turkey leftovers and cold sprout salad.
I thought of calling it just limbo, but that sounded a bit philosophical.
Now, as it's drawing to a merciful conclusion I have decided I will call it "What #*~+% day is it today? week!"
I came to that decision early this morning as I listened to last night's enthralling (?!) 65th birthday edition of the Archers on iPlayer. You know, the anniversary edition where some horrendous event was set to strike Ambridge, and all that happened was that Pat Archer, recently returned from the Antipodes, tried to persuade David to switch from Autumn to Spring calving!
So, to cheer myself up I decided to catch up on another programme I missed, only to realise that it won't be broadcast till next Monday evening!

Today is Saturday, I have been chanting like a mantra all day, and come Monday the days of the week will start running in the proper order.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Once upon a time I used t have to work during the week you refer to Alan and I used to wish that like my neighbours I could stay at home

Now I do not have to work and do spend more time at home, often wishing that I wasn't like my neighbours and that I could actually go to work during this week.

You're right though Alan the days do get confusing I often have to put the cursor onto the time display on the PC to see what day of the week it is.

How about 'National Boredom Week'
Last edited by Pa Snip on Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I did a couple of days work last week and as Pa Snip said, it does help to keep you on track with what day it actually is. But my poor old Mum has lost track of the days completely this Christmas, she keeps thinking it is Sunday.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

I went and bought a paper this morning, we only buy one on Saturdays. Came back and over coffee wife suggested inviting neighbours round this evening, but they'll be back to work tomorrow I said, "Not on a Sunday!"
Unresolved Time - between indulgence and New Year resolutions (not that I make any).
Pa Snip
KG Regular

alan refail".I listened to last night's enthralling (?!) 65th birthday edition of the Archers on iPlayer. You know, the anniversary edition where some horrendous event was set to strike Ambridge, and all that happened was that Pat Archer, recently returned from the Antipodes, tried to persuade David to switch from Autumn to Spring calving!

You are not the only person I have seen say they are disappointed. However stalwart fans may be shocked by the real reason

Well if you promise not to spread it around I can tell you why the plot got changed at the last minute to something so mundane, be careful though because at the moment the original revelation is the subject of legal proceedings and as such some information is ‘sub judice’ >

Papers were recently found in St Stephens church which revealed that many years ago the diocese Bishop was concerned over allegations of a ‘menage a tois’ involving Dan & Doris Archer and Walter Gabriel, the outcome of this was that a child was born in total secrecy, paternity was never established although the child grew up with a strong accent as had Walter Gabriel.. :shock:

AND NOW COMES THE REVELATION

Legal proceedings are currently in progress in respect of a Victorian property which was built around a 17th century core.
This building is let to the Landmark Trust but the heir to the secret childs estate is claiming that Arkwright Hall is rightfully his.

His claim is that on his deathbed his uncle, one’ Albert Arkwright ‘ , said to him “ G G G G Granville make sure you g g g g g g get the d d d d d deeds to Arkwright Hall in Ambridge, it’ll make a g g g g g good c c c c c c c country b b branch store”.

and there you have the reason why they had to switch to when cows should be calved.

Albert Arkwright was born in Ambridge and Granville wants the deeds so that he can move in with Mavis and offer beef at Arkwright Hall ‘all hours’ .
Last edited by Pa Snip on Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pawty
KG Regular

I call it that time when I nag my husband to use the drill he got given for Christmas and do the diy jobs he hasn't done all year 'because he didn't have a drill'.....

I took a few days off as work has been really stressful over the last few months - in addition to nagging the other half I've enjoyed visiting friends, family and recharging the batteries.

I had planned to get to the allotment however didn't succeed because of the weather - which encouraged me to plan our next travelling adventure to get some sun.

KG mag turned up - carrot, leak, broccoli and spring onion seeds which was pretty good - KG must finally have got through all those lettuce seeds!
robo
KG Regular

Pa snip I think you might be getting mixed up with Open all hours :mrgreen:
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

You've hit the nail on the head Alan. I've had the "is it Saturday" feeling nearly every day for the past week, along with what time is the shop opening today? Not running out of food but collect the newspaper every morning. Anyway I took all the trimmings and cards down today so I feel back to normal.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

robo wrote:Pa snip I think you might be getting mixed up with Open all hours :mrgreen:

And there you have the unexpected revelation, the two are connected. Granville realises that owning Arkwright Hall would make him something he has secretly long dreamed of ................................ he reckons that if he can get the deeds to Arkwright Hall then by this time next year he'll be a millionaire.

Arkwright Hall is a large Victorian mansion with a 17th-century atmosphere. The building served as a community centre for many years, containing a soundproofed room and field studies centre. Later it fell into disrepair, but was renovated when Jack Woolley leased the mansion to the Landmark Trust; architect Lewis led the restoration of the building to its Victorian splendour.

St. Stephen's Church, established in 1281, dates back to Saxon times. The church has undergone many changes over the years, including a number of different vicars. Its eight bells are rung by a group led by Neil Carter.

The Bull, the village's only pub. It now opens at 10 a.m. and boasts a coffee cart and two computers. Having leapt into the 21st Century, The "Bull Upstairs" has become a hotspot for many Ambridge locals.

This stuff aint made up you know, it is all real. I appreciate it must be such a shock for ardent fans to learn of what Doris got up to in her prime and the mind boggles at what sort of 'Hotspot' The Bull Upstairs is now. :lol: .

retropants
KG Regular

As I do not listen to the Archers, I couldn't possibly comment!

However, I usually use that week in between to do DIY (see the decorating post!!) or some sewing etc, as I normally have no time at any point during the rest of the year to do so. I'm no good at sitting about doing nothing, and can't do all that extra eating that some people seem to do over Christmas. I also managed to properly stick my wedding photos into the album (bought by a friend). Bear in mind that the wedding was 2010, and the photos had been hanging about loosely in the pages since then! This evening, I might even have time to rack some homemade wine that has been in the demijohns since September.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic