Decorating....sigh!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

Foolishly we have decided to decorate the living room, only because we had to get a few furniture purchases to replace some old stuff so thought all in. What a nightmare - well not the decorating bit as have a professional friend who will do that in a couple of days.

How the hell do you choose a colour? The names for a start don't indicate what colour to expect & even with todays advances with printing & computer stuff, nothing in the paint samples resembles the colour that ends up on your wall test patches. While I appreciate the light in our room is different, I don't really expect a pinkish tone in something grouped in the the ivory / neutral section of the colour chart!

At this rate will spend more on test pots than the actual paint! Loosing the will to live & will shortly be on first name terms at the hardware chain staff!

Westi
Westi
John
KG Regular

Hello Westi
In my book there are only two colours for decorating: Magnolia and white!
What could be simpler?

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Know that feeling Westi, ended up doing the bedroom before new bed arrives. Ceiling an off-white which was fine but took ages to decide on a wall colour. Finished up with a paint from the local Brewers store called Birch Grove which turned out to be a very very pale coffee colour, looks ok which is just as well 'cos I'm not doing it again! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
robo
KG Regular

Any colour she wants I tell my wife, as long as it's white
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I'm not sure how much these colour match paints come out at, but at least you know what you are getting, if the item is the same colour as you want on the walls....as long as you can take the item there that is. :D
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Stephen
KG Regular

Like others, I am firmly in the white walls camp. I'm months overdue on my own redecoration. I really, really have to get the walls and ceilings repainted before I have new carpets.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
retropants
KG Regular

i'm afraid i cannot abide white walls!!

I have just painted my kitchen (last week actually) olive green, and very nice it looks too.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

retropants wrote:i'm afraid i cannot abide white walls!!

I have just painted my kitchen (last week actually) olive green, and very nice it looks too.

wooo green is a risky colour to mention on here as the web techs recently found out and can confirm :lol:

Good job you just went ahead and did the job, a lengthy discussion as to what shade of green it should be could have ensued otherwise :D

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
alan refail
KG Regular

Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
retropants
KG Regular

Pa Snip wrote:
wooo green is a risky colour to mention on here as the web techs recently found out and can confirm :lol:

Good job you just went ahead and did the job, a lengthy discussion as to what shade of green it should be could have ensued otherwise :D

Agreed!!! I just bought it and did it! the colour I chose (olive) is not as lime as the olive above, but not quite as dull as the sage, kind of between the two. As it is just around the tiles, so from the ceiling down to the splashback height, it is not 'too much'. I also repainted the ceiling (white) as it was previously cream, and always looked grubby. We then fitted the new cupboard doors from IKEA, that had been sitting, unpacked, in the hall since the beginning of 2014 (I know!!) I had to buy them then, as they changed their kitchen format, so new doors from the new format would not have fitted my existing units. Soooo glad it is done, and I can now walk through the hallway without having to avoid a large stack of boxes!

Now, what to do with the old doors???
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Build cold frames?
Geoff
KG Regular

They look almost sensible names for a colour chart compared with the one I have, cupboard green?

colour chart.jpg
colour chart.jpg (661.16 KiB) Viewed 3907 times
retropants
KG Regular

What the 'eck is eau de nil??? :)

Just noticed...... My kitchen is closest to, wait for it..... Kitchen green! .?? :lol:
alan refail
KG Regular

retropants wrote:What the 'eck is eau de nil??? :)

Way, way back in the 1940s our kitchen was always painted in Eau de Nil - Nile Water.
So weird names are not a modern invention. Though most of the other paints then were white, brown black and green!
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Geoff
KG Regular

I feel a novel coming on "Fourteen Shades of Grey"
Attachments
colour chart grey.jpg
colour chart grey.jpg (426.92 KiB) Viewed 3892 times
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic