Healthy living fatigue.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

More like 'Carcinogen' fatigue, the lastest is im ordering Aloe Vera juice that I started taking as a healthy digestive supplement along with BioGard, a probiotic. In the case of the Aloe Vera juice I read it may be a carcinogen.

Isn't that just the way they put it, "It may be". Or other vague caveats.

So far, the biogard is doing ok.

I have to stop eating tomatoes regardless of how good they were and I still can't find anyone denouncing me eating rye sourdough. Yet. All other bread raised on engineered yeast isn't good and avoid wholemeal.

Sorry.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
dan3008
KG Regular

ricard, you dont teach at Sheffield Hallam do you? lol
you sound just like one of my old tutors :)

To be honest, I've given up trying to keep track of all the health warnings ect
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

(Huge smile)

Hi Dan, I really-really have been eating healthily for the best part of forty years. I raised three daughters on a vegetarian diet without getting on a box, I answered questions about my motives the best way I could though all my answers may have come from unqualified opinion and by all accounts some was nonsense.

As these girls grew into adults they did their own reading and research and of course now the internet.

We even ate charcoal once a week (Black stuff that is a carcinogen) as a way of marking bowel evacuation efficiency on the basis of supposed research done on aboriginals. I never found this research.

I also give up but I'm on a roll to find as much nonsense and controversy as I can, Im retired, its winter. Why not.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've got an old recipe book hand written by my grandmother in beautiful copperplate. There are all kinds of remedies for colds, stomach complaints etc and lots of them have ingredients which are banned or prescription only now. One of her less lethal remedies for an upset stomach was to put a coke off the fire in a cup and pour boiling water on it and drink it when it had cooled off.

Anyway, I've got gardening fatigue at the moment. I always overdo it when we get a fine day, so I've had two healthy Belgian chocolates and I'm washing them down with a medicinal gin and tonic :D
Geoff
KG Regular

I take it all with a pinch of salt (and a glass of wine and a bacon sandwich and almost everything else).
Westi
KG Regular

Basically Richard the more you research the more confused it gets. (Especially if any celeb chefs get on the band wagon)!
We are all genetically different, all been exposed to different climates & carcinogens in the outside environment or in our homes.

I think the emphasis should be taken off the one fit for all & I think we will know by our wellness what suits us individually. Nothing annoys me more that being in a health food shop to get a supplement to find it is unavailable as a stand alone anymore but is in a 'Well Woman', 'Brain Enhancing' or 'Over 50's' box with other stuff that I know nothing about. I don't want a mix - I originally researched the actual thing I have been buying for years - not just for benefit, but for lack of side effects as well. I know they support my lifestyle as I know when I don't take them, which kinda supports they do help in a more natural way. I kinda compare it to craving deep greens or liver when I haven't had some for a bit, can't prove my iron levels are lower than my body likes, but it does the job - & it isn't like craving chocolate..

Westi
Westi
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:I take it all with a pinch of salt (and a glass of wine and a bacon sandwich and almost everything else).

Yesterday, on the radio another doctor (of something) has written yet another book on yet another diet. He referred to the nonsense research done years ago on the effects of us eating fats, he pointed out that the research had been skewed in order to get the results required yet it's taken 30 years (at a guess) for someone to criticise the research.

And of course this criticism of the erase arch adds interest to his book on diet. He quite firmly says excersise doesn't work yet I proved it does because up until now I've always been a busy chap and never been fatbregardless off what I eat.

The exception being the two times I'm recovering from hip replacement I did a lot of sitting and watching tv.
Richard.
dan3008
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:He quite firmly says excersise doesn't work yet I proved it does because up until now I've always been a busy chap and never been fat regardless off what I eat.

Wow... That's a "doctor" who knows nothing...
Fact of the matter is, weight loss, gain and maintenance is a labour energy balance. If you do more exercise, you use more energy, so can eat more without gaining weight.

I could (did at uni) write a 5000 word essay on the subject. But I won't bore you with that.
Basically energy needs are worked out like so:

Metabolic rate + exercise needs = total energy required

Now, exercise in this case is anything more than sleeping.
If your intake is higher, you gain weight, lower you lose weight, same you maintain

Yes you can lose weight without going to the gym type exercise, but I really does help

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I can't imagine in what context they say that exercise doesn't work. It keeps me healthy, boosts my circulation, eases stiff joints and keeps my weight down, and like you when I couldn't move after injuring my spine I put nearly two stone on in six months. I was eating much less than when I was active and still piled the weight on. Also carefully exercising when I could has helped me recover and lose most of the weight again and building up good muscle strength helps support your joints and makes injury less likely.

I find myself questioning everything I read and dismiss a large proportion of it as twaddle. I suppose if you're trying to sell a book you have to try to say something different.
Pawty
KG Regular

I can't believe someone would say exercise doesn't work. Unbelievable!

Husband and I like to scuba dive. I find a month of running a few times a week before a trip means I can make a tank of air last 10 minutes more. That's telling to me!

Right - back to bed. Woken up feeling terrible .....
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Pawty wrote:I can't believe someone would say exercise doesn't work. ...

It was Mosely.

Presumably he meant that for those trying too loose weight going for a regular walk is far to much too expect. To be honest we have professional experience, what we found was that the ladies that attended our classes made just about every excuse in the book. It's called denial.

I proved to them, those that were listening, that a daily walk of at least 30 minutes as long as they regulate their heart rate to sub-aerobic first then aerobic after they get comfortable would provide a result to encourage them. Most ignored my advise, overdid it, came home with low blood sugar and wobbled a mars bar in.

We found that most people needing help were as entrenched in their habits as alcoholics.
Richard.
dan3008
KG Regular

Ricfdard with an H wrote:
We found that most people needing help were as entrenched in their habits as alcoholics.

That matches my experience as a public health nutritionist. And yet, my tutor threatened to fail me during uni, because she disagreed with me that food addiction is real, and serious

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I thought about food addiction for years. I also thought about 'Habit' comparing habit to addiction.

Because I don't trust research unless a detailed paper is produced I'm not aware of any scientific evidence for food addiction in the same vein as opiate addiction.

Plain-old bad habit.

Right now millions (At a guess) are addicted to caffeine with the help of aspartame, some fizz and some flavour. This type of teeth-chattering eye-twitching addiction we know about and is well researched.
Richard.
dan3008
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:I thought about food addiction for years. I also thought about 'Habit' comparing habit to addiction.

Because I don't trust research unless a detailed paper is produced I'm not aware of any scientific evidence for food addiction in the same vein as opiate addiction.

Plain-old bad habit.

Right now millions (At a guess) are addicted to caffeine with the help of aspartame, some fizz and some flavour. This type of teeth-chattering eye-twitching addiction we know about and is well researched.

Your right, there is no research about food addiction, mainly because people like me who want to do it, cant get the funding, or get their research squashed by over arrogant tutors... sorry, personal vendetta over...

All I'm going to say on the topic is this: My personal research at uni (that my tutor didnt want me to submit for marking) found that 1 in 4 people who over eat show all the signs of addiction
denial - Most people who over eat deny how much they eat, at times even deny eating sessions (eg, snacking)
obsession - When asked to log how often they thought about food, the individuals we identified as having food addiction, showed results almost twice as much as our baseline group with no issues with food.
continuation of behaviour - Most people know overeating is bad for you, but some people feel they cant stop (some dont care, they were discounted)
Lack of Awareness - connected to denial
Increased need - as time goes on, people who over ate, tended to over eat more. Long term study needed to confirm this.
Desperation/Anxiety - When refused food, these individuals became increasingly desperate, anxious or distressed.

One day I hope to do this study properly, and publish the results

Motherwoman
KG Regular

Well lets face it, food is nice.... and when life is being the proverbial bitch you crave something to give you comfort. Some people find it in alcohol, some in drugs and some in food. Some even become addicted to exercise.It's a quick and temporary fix. Any addiction is 'needing' not just 'wanting'.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic