New year Bits and Bobs - 2016.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

dan3008
KG Regular

Pa Snip wrote:I want everyone laughing at mine, I don't want black clothing worn. I've requested no flowers, just vegetable displays subject to time of year

Now I guess we had better get back off this subject. It is general chatter forum but some may feel uncomfortable discussing it and some will see it as inappropriate no doubt.

Ooo, I like the idea of a veg collection...

Let's be honest, some people will think anything you say will be inappropriate, Im waiting to say something controversial about gardening and be told it's not appropriate on here lol.
Last edited by dan3008 on Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
peter
KG Regular

Going to one on Saturday, up by Thirsk, my oldest friend (from age two) finally succumbed to cystic fibrosis at fifty three. On the bright side that's a ripe old age for CF. Family are methodist, been to a variety over the years, most disconcerting was a Humanist ceremony which turned into a recruitment pitch.

Sorry but funerals always remind me of the sketches of the late, great, Dave Allan and his very humane show ending.

"Goodnight and may your god go with you." :)
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
dan3008
KG Regular

peter wrote:"Goodnight and may your god go with you." :)

I like that quote, I may have to use it... Maybe over my front door.

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
richard p
KG Regular

my father died end of august after about 18 months in a nursing home with what we thought was dementia but turned out to be a brain tumour, he wasnt religious , i wouldnt need all my fingers to count the number of people whod bothered to visit him in the time hed been in the home . we buried him in the green burial ground a five minute walk from his home, with only the wife and i and our children present . i told the rest of the relations hed died after all was done and dusted.
got to say as "funerals" go it was one of the best ive been to, my daughter in particular would have found a conventional affair with loads of people quite distressing.

weve all got to make our own decisions and do what we feel is right , particularly for the closest family. probably wont please everyone .

funny thing is not one of my cousins sent us a xmas card this year , but i dont recall seeing any of them since my aunts funeral , maybe 5 years ago , so ill not loose any sleep.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

peter wrote:
Sorry but funerals always remind me of the sketches of the late, great, Dave Allan and his very humane show ending.

"Goodnight and may your god go with you." :)

Don't apologise, leastwise certainly not to me, about liking the humour of Dave Allan.
One of our best ever comedians with many a funny funereal sketch

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
dan3008
KG Regular

Pa Snip wrote:One of our best ever comedians with many a funny funereal sketch

Personally I preferred the 2 Ronnie's... Fork andles?

Shallot Man
KG Regular

Attended a funeral yesterday with with another committee man to pay our last respects to a fellow plot holder at the local crematorium.Cort-age turned up with the funeral director walking in front. With great panache he marshaled the family ,followed by the guests, and led them straight into the waiting room. [about 8ft x 6ft.] presumable his first visit to this crematorium. we all looked incredulous at each other. Then out he came with I must say with the same panache.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Shallot Man, one can almost picture it.

A few years ago a friend who I had got to know purely through our joint hobby died. Went to his funeral to which the hearse turned up at the very last minute, not late but close.

No matter though because the vicar had not turned up.

Some 20 minutes went by with crematorium staff making the obvious comments about other funerals having to take place. The hearse was outside the chapel with the rear open throughout.

Suddenly the vicar came rushing up. Everybody was ushered into the chapel, the deceased carried in and the vicar began by
apologising profusely, explaining that he had been delayed and then in trying to make up the time whilst on his way to the crematorium had got stopped by police for speeding and given a ticket.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Hope all is OK with OH

I've noted he has been visiting the site but has been very quiet.

All OK Sir ??

Shallot Man
KG Regular

I think OH is biding his time. :wink:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I'm afraid it has been very tough times here, we have had a unexpected death in the family and also a young member of the family took her own life.

I will get back on here, but those things have left me really shaken.

I know they would be really well meant, but no replies please, thank you.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic