Oops what is happening

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Catherine
KG Regular

What is happening, is this a virus on our website
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

We seem to be under constant attack.... :D
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

Since the so-called security upgrade the forum seems a prey to pointless spam.

What I would like to know is how these spam accounts get accepted. If I try to register as, say, "welshspammer" I get the usual message, as below. Presumably all these spammers (and there are a worryingly vast amount of them!) circumvent that procedure. How?

kg.PNG
kg.PNG (12.54 KiB) Viewed 4103 times
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

Totally agree. The number of obviously spam entries seems to have increased dramatically. There may be times when my own postings are rubbish, but at least they attempt to pretend some sort of relevance.
alan refail
KG Regular

FredFromOssett wrote:Totally agree. The number of obviously spam entries seems to have increased dramatically. There may be times when my own postings are rubbish, but at least they attempt to pretend some sort of relevance.

И вы не пишете на русском языке!

Sorry! And you don't write in Russian!
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
dan3008
KG Regular

There's a Web service called 10 minute mail. It makes an email address that lasts for 10 minutes (surprise surprise) so I bet a lot of stammers use that to sign up
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
peter
KG Regular

Guys, I work in IT for a Council, with around 3,500 employee e-mail accounts, plus shared mailboxes, e.g. [email protected] and we have been blocking around three to four thousand spam e-mails per day, over the last week or so that has gone up to between ten and twelve thousand per day.

So a spammer per day on this site is nothing, it is currently a quiet and friendly place.

Dodgy looking threads or posts on this forum, please do not follow any links in them, or dignify them with a response, just use the report button and then ignore them.
Likewise be wary of anyone who has posted a few posts of limited relevance to gardening, but spattered them around the site a bit, they may be doing so prior to adding a dodgy website link into their signature. It is a supremely cunning plan to achieve nothing as all it means is we have to delete a few more posts once the dodgy signature is reported.

Please bear in mind that moderators do occasionally need to do other stuff. :wink:

Outside this forum, if you receive an unexpected e-mail treat it with caution, do not open any attachments, or follow any links in it.
For e-mails that seem to be from people you know, always read the text before following any links or opening any attached files, if Gavin from Essex is now writing in a different style or syntax, it is probably a "spoof" email where the sender has made it appear to come from Gavin's e-mail address.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Geoff
KG Regular

PS : just waving the mouse over links so you can read where they are wanting to send you is often enlightening.
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

alan refail wrote:И вы не пишете на русском языке!

Но я мог бы попробовать!
alan refail
KG Regular

FredFromOssett wrote:Но я мог бы попробовать!

Это вызовет проблемы!
peter
KG Regular

Вы пару дураков. :twisted:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

peter wrote:Вы пару дураков. :twisted:

Guilty as charged :cry:
dan3008
KG Regular

Do i have to get google translate out? I dont understand a word of what you 2 said...
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

dan3008 wrote:Do i have to get google translate out? I dont understand a word of what you 2 said...

Yes; that would do the trick.
I'm not sure whether it's worth the effort though.
Peter's reply probably sums it all up :oops:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Fred, i wouldn't be red faced, as that's what makes this forum interesting and funny....and you can't beat a bit of intrigue, to. :D ...not that i have a clue what it all meant, but it made me smile.... :D
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic