Fresh chicken ummm

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Catherine
KG Regular

We went to a Farmers Market yesterday in Grimsargh, Lancashire and bought some diced salt marsh lamb(which we froze) from one supplier (450g at £4.50) and a free range organic chicken. The chicken we bought from P D Willacy from Poulton le Fylde. Free range and no antibiotics or pumped with water (unlike supermarkets) and! it came with giblets, 1.5 kg. and cost £6.33. I roasted it tonight and it was amazing. We will be seeking out this chap to get more for the freezer. The quality was fabulous. We have tried previously to find good quality chicken and lamb but they were so expensive we couldn't afford to spend this kind of money. Does anyone else have a preferred supplier who is reasonable.

I do understand that quality often costs, but I can't afford to pay £11.00 for a joint of lamb which is enough for two people.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Afternoon Catherine, we are very lucky as Cooks, Sister in Law keeps sheep. She sells a whole butchered lamb for £130....if it was bought as separate cuts, it would be well over £180.

We used to get cockerels from just down the road, that tasted brilliant, but sadly they stopped rearing them.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Catherine
KG Regular

OH we have eaten the rest of the chicken for our evening meal tonight and it was fabulous. Not dry at all and it melted in your mouth. I envy you with your facility to purchase local lamb. We do have an extremely good butcher here, and I do buy his sausages which are amazing and all his meat is brilliant, but his chicken, although very good, wasn't as good as the chicken as we had this week end.
Westi
KG Regular

Haven't tasted a decent chicken for ages - free range, organic, supermarket or market, expensive or cheap! They all taste bland & the same. I think most are killed too young but that's just a guess.

Lucky you Catherine - got roast chook envy here!

Westi
Westi
Catherine
KG Regular

Westi I had a chicken sandwich for lunch today with home made veggie soup and it was delightful. We are going to go and buy a few from this chappie as soon as possible, because, honestly it has been the best chicken we have eaten in a very long time. I must admit I object to paying a huge amount for organic. (I have been informed by my OH that he inserted a half lemon and half an onion into the cavity before it went into the oven. :) But I still don't think that this changed the taste of this superb chicken. I will let you know when we cook the next one.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic