Early Winter Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Pa Snip, i'm just sat here thinking about you, as i'm just looking through my KG magazine that was delivered this morning....and a very goo read it is too and the free pepper seeds and a separate veg growing guide, make it well worth having. :twisted: :D
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Dear Pa Snip, i'm just sat here thinking about you, as i'm just looking through my KG magazine that was delivered this morning....and a very goo read it is too and the free pepper seeds and a separate veg growing guide, make it well worth having. :twisted: :D

Laughing, Methinks OH is attempting a touch of salt to the wound :D
Sorry you got the copy that's covered in sticky stuff, hope the pages of your 'goo' read all separate ok (Pa Snip can be just as :twisted: :lol: )

Mine also arrived this morning :D

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Afternoon Pa Snip, glad you have yours too......

I wasn't quite sure what you were on about, then i spotted the "goo".... you do make me smile..... :D

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

We've had a lovely mild day here, sunny, no wind and bees and ladybirds busy on the mahonia flowers. I wonder how long it will last?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Renewed my subscription this morning for an optimistic 12 months :D

Compromised on the alternative magazine subscription and subscribed to one for 12 months as a gift for my daughter as she likes reading the mags.

Just popped outside to let the chickens out, seems ok out there so think I might make a trip up the plot today although supposed to be awaiting parcel deliveries. One of the snags of 'online purchasing'.

Was impressed yesterday, had two deliveries due and early in the morning both sent me by text a one hour time frame that they reckoned they would deliver within.
One was between 10:52 and 11:52, the other was 11:59 to 12:59

First one delivered 10:58, second 12:06

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Geoff
KG Regular

Pa Snip wrote: One of the snags of 'online purchasing'.

This bad weather is costing me a fortune as I sit here ordering while watching it rain. Latest indulgence is LED lights. Have had strip lights in the kitchen ever since we built it and have often thought about downlighters but with the ceiling only 2½" thick I decided they would be a nightmare to install. Decided LED replacement tubes had got to a state worth looking at so bought the first pair, we have two double units, and the light is amazing. The instant silent start and no hum when they are on is also great. Two 4' tubes are 40w instead of 72w but will take a while to payback. Quite easy to install, remove the ballast and join the wires with a connector and swap the starter for a device that is included. Downside was the huge shipping cost which I have had to pay twice as I have now ordered the second pair. Bought some LED bulbs for other rooms as well, I can see properly again for the first time since I removed the incandescents!
Primrose
KG Regular

I have been using the current wet weather spells to try and do a long overdue spot of domestic "decluttering". The problem is that my husband, who's long accustomed to my enthusiasm, has been trawling through the charity shop piles, retrieving stuff and putting it back where I found it lurking. So not much progress! Where do you draw the line at "Hasn't been used/looked at for a certain period of time so not likely to use it?" 30 years obviously appears to be too short a period in this house!

Can I politely enquire how many ties you guys think it's reasonable to have lurking in your wardrobe? :lol:
robo
KG Regular

Lovely day on Monday I managed to get a full raised bed planted with onion sets, I only managed it with the help of a couple of friends , since my heart attack I have had to stop taking the arthritis medication as well as struggling with my breathing I can't walk very far now but at least I'm alive
Geoff
KG Regular

Primrose, I'm the wrong person to ask, born hoarder. My problem is usually when something breaks where can I find the thing that might give me parts to repair it. Some time ago the zip failed in some nearly new jeans. Couple of weeks ago went through the knees of a pair of gardening jeans, as I usually do. Wife completed a very neat double leg transplant! In answer to the question, tie count 26, I only seem to wear the black one these days does that mean scrap the rest?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

robo wrote:Lovely day on Monday I managed to get a full raised bed planted with onion sets, I only managed it with the help of a couple of friends , since my heart attack I have had to stop taking the arthritis medication as well as struggling with my breathing I can't walk very far now but at least I'm alive

Alive and kicking Robo, go for it. Give it time and you'll be feeling much much more capable again. Good on you.

Geoff wrote:Primrose, I'm the wrong person to ask, born hoarder. My problem is usually when something breaks where can I find the thing that might give me parts to repair it. Some time ago the zip failed in some nearly new jeans. Couple of weeks ago went through the knees of a pair of gardening jeans, as I usually do. Wife completed a very neat double leg transplant! In answer to the question, tie count 26, I only seem to wear the black one these days does that mean scrap the rest?

Hate to admit this Primrose but I'm alongside Geoff on the hoarding stakes

I have ties going back to the 1960's

Geoff, you wont need to wear the black tie when I go, colourful dress code will be order of the day.

Westi
KG Regular

Oh Primrose - understand your problem!

There is complete role reversal in our house! It is Mr Westi that has too much of everything! Dozens of pairs of shoes & 4 wardrobes full of clothes!!! (& yes in lots of sizes- clothes obviously)! :) It is Mr Westi that has all the hobbies as well - fishing, photography, shooting, model rail, model boat building - & every hard back book or magazine related to these hobbies!

I do manage a magazine cull from time to time, but am kinda tiring of wee flies on the coffee table & rods & nets in the porch & no fish on the plate! BUT am slowly winning with some of the other bits & bobs as well & think there maybe some brand new boxed train models & railway layouts available on e-Bay soon! I've had to recruit his mate in who basically just added up the total cost & has scared the life out of him with the waste of money - or probably in his eyes the amount for the next hobby! :roll:

Westi
For reference I have 7 pairs of shoes, including trainers for lottie, work shoes & flip flops (hate shoes, nearly always get blisters), & I routinely donate any clothes to charity every January if not worn for that year - unless can be recycled for lottie!
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Thanks for the thoughts pasnip
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I sympathise Primrose, I've accumulated stuff from long dead relatives that I'm never likely to use or put on display but don't want to part with. I have got rid of lots of clothes by taking them straight to the charity shop as soon as they are bagged up so I can't change my mind.

I think Geoff could have made a few bob selling his kneeless gardening jeans to a trendy youngster as they all seem to be going round with their knees poking out. It makes a change from their bums hanging out I suppose. In fact the jeans I've relegated to gardening jeans are usually in better condition than the distressed ones they are selling for silly money in the shops. I can't understand why anyone would pay for torn dirty looking clothes, fashion is so ridiculous.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Looks like another wet and windy day here today, so still no allotment jobs are going to get done....how frustrating.

Pa Snip
KG Regular

This week I have been reaping the benefit of the late August sowing I did of a complete packet of 'Pablo' beetroot seed and a packet of 2000 carrot seed that I did some broadcast sowing with.

Cooked and froze some of the beetroot whole, still lots left in the ground to be dug out.
I'm wondering about adding roast beetroot to the menu for Christmas day.

The carrots have produced nice slender carrot fingers, just right size for blanching and freeing whole.
Lots more to be dug out yet, once cleaned I shall weigh them

Not raining here yet OH, but very grey start to the day. Ground was a bit sticky yesterday, although did make it easier to dig the carrots out it certainly wasn't dry enough to dig over properly so I think you are right about giving it a miss today.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic