Garden of endless wonder

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

dan3008
KG Regular

I'm seriously thinking that my garden might be on the site of the old warehouse 12 (from warehouse 13, if you havent watched it, you should) I keep finding all sorts of weird and wonderful things when digging my beds, or pulling weeds, or harvesting my crops...

Today I found a cobble path while digging out my middle bed... It turns out, that there is a pretty good reason why I couldn't get anything growing there very much.
some of the other things I've found in the garden

3 pairs of shoes
a pair of sandles
a woman's underwear (buried under the soil, so not just blown off a washing line)
2 steel files
2 panes of 2'x4' safety glass (was in good condition, but got smashed when I moved it)
and most interestingly of all, a small box with a book in. Unfortunately, the box wasn't water tight and the book was mush, but still quite an interesting find.

What are some of the more unusual things you lot have found in your gardens/allotments?
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Pa Snip
KG Regular

A roman map with directions to a plot in Sheffield where I could get my next pair of sandals.

:lol:

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
peter
KG Regular

On my second allotment, a curved thick piece of steel, looks like the back off an uncomfortable chair, I think it's some sort of fireplace/chimney device and it was 18" down with some loose brickwork, I hit it with my Merry Tiller which stalled and had to be manually dug out.

Also on that plot, some cheap chicken wire with polythene stuck onto both sides type cloches, buried at the base of a previous tenants weed heap, aka burial mound, aka three foot high by six by nine neolithic barrow. Again ,having cleared the heap, or so I believed, I was rotovating and the Merry Tiller had to be extricated with wire cutters and pliers as well as spade and trowel!

In my garden the base of a brick wall right where I needed to put a substantial concrete corner post.

In the grounds of the school I lived at a Romano British settlement and in a neighbouring field the medieval kilns the bricks for the Elizabethan and earlier buildings were built with.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Geoff
KG Regular

I live on the line of a Roman road but apart from the endless tramping keeping me awake at night I've never discovered anything from that era, but I did once dig up a 10' section of railway line (I guess something to do with the Manchester aqueduct project).
robo
KG Regular

I've dug up enough parts to build at least 4 bikes, bricks by the score, all types of boots and bits of wellingtons ,arms and legs of various dolls, but the best was 29 milk bottles out of an area less than 2 feet square all intact, at one point I was looking for bits of bones or an old skull I was going to lay them in a shallow hole then phone the local plod I thought I might get my plot cleared with out bending my back
Shallot Man
KG Regular

All I found on my plot was thick Essex clay.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Shallot Man wrote:All I found on my plot was thick Essex clay.

Which was slightly worrying for shallot man
as at the time his plot was in Kent and there's a river in between

edit
I have just noticed this is my 666th post, be afraid be very afraid
:lol: :twisted: :evil: :twisted:

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

My plots are a bit boring compared to these bounties!

I have found lots of glass & crockery bits but easily explained. The council used to put all the muck & stuff dredged out of the river right on top of where my plots are. From my few exploits with sailing & watching my cuppa go overboard I'm pretty sure that's the source of these finds.

Also gave me a couple of foot (or more), of nice sandy soil on top of the clay layer that curses the plots a bit further along.

Westi
Westi
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Which was slightly worrying for shallot man
as at the time his plot was in Kent and there's a river in between

No one told me when I took on the plot. Now I know why it floods twice a day.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic