Windows 10

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

John
KG Regular

Nothing to do with gardening but I know a few of you are experienced computer types.
My machine tells me that my 10 upgrade has arrived. Have any of you tried to install yours yet. I'm always very wary of tinkering with computer things - always afraid the whole is going to hang up and freeze and not being able to find out what to do next.

John
Last edited by John on Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Geoff
KG Regular

I have two machines and I registered for 10 on them both and neither prompted me to finish it off. I searched for a solution to do it on demand and it worked fine and quite quickly, but I do have a very high speed connection (940 mbps). The verdict - the jury is still out.
Tried the old machine first that was 7 Pro, this is a machine that has misbehaved in the past so before upgrade I reinstalled 7 as a clean start. It has behaved quite well running 10. The new browser Edge is pretty ridiculous, I use bookmarks for browsing but the way Edge handles them makes me think there is another way to browse as I can't see anybody wanting to use it this way. I imported my bookmarks from Chrome and it changed them into reverse alphabetic order with no tool to re-sort them, if you add something new you have to slide it around to where you want it. Select a bookmark folder on the left of the screen and the items open on the right with several lines for each item so you can't see many at at a time and no icon/avatar to help you quickly recognise them. No evidence of the publicised faster speed so altogether a waste of time. The much publicised retention of the Start menu is not entirely true, it is accompanied by tiles that are apparently from 8 that I have never used. When you pin something to the Start Menu in fact you produce a tile. Tiles do not behave the same as items on a 7 Start Menu, for example, if you pin Excel you don't get the option of opening recently used sheets (called Show jump List) but you do if it decides to put it on the Most Used list which is more like the old Start Menu. I haven't played much with the Cortana organiser application so I can't comment. I only use desktop machines and don't have a smart phone so my ways of working are perhaps a bit old fashioned so maybe I am not the best to comment.
As the old machine was working better than it had historically I also installed it on my live machine, Home version. This has not been good. I can't get Cortana to work at all, something about regions although both machines are UK throughout. Even after opening and closing numerous spreadsheets it doesn't think Excel is a Most Used program so I am stuck with opening it and then the sheet I want. I am thinking of uninstalling and trying again. So it's only strong point I have found so far is it installs OK and runs.
Last edited by Geoff on Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Even before reading Geoff's reply I had decided I would not upgrade.

when it comes to computers I learned long ago >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

If it aint broke don't fix it.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Elaine
KG Regular

Hello John. I have Windows 8 and I'm staying with it......I'm not a natural "techie" :oops: and like Pa Snip, I always think, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Several friends on Facebook have stated that stuff which previously worked well, is not doing as well with Windows 10. One avid gamer says her games won't load. Another says different apps won't open etc etc. At least two have uninstalled it...or whatever it is you do to get rid of something. Some have said they will wait a while until the glitches get sorted.

Too much hassle for me!
Happy with my lot
Cider Boys
KG Regular

Believe me I'm not a computer buff but after using Windows 8 anything could only be an improvement, so I immediately upgraded to 10 when it became available. The upgrade TO 10 went well and so far it all seems ok and a slight improvement on 8.

Barney
Shallot Man
KG Regular

As a 82 year old computer moron with a degree in computer moronic s, You have certainly put me off Geoff. :? :? :?
peter
KG Regular

As an IT person in business, we never take the latest major upgrade of anything when it gets releasef,, unless it fixes something seriously wrong with the version we have. We eait until the bugs are identified and fixef first.

Patches and fixes issued monthly by Microsoft we take and apply the critical ones to a test subset of our estate, wait and see a week or two to see what breaks and then, either roll it out, or, amend and retest.

We refer to those who take upgrades the instant they're released as wanting to be at the (b)leading edge, we let them identify the issues for us.

Apple users always want to be at the (b)leading edge because they just have to have the latest greatest Apple product and we all know Apple are unlike other manufacturers and never ever introdùce bugs into their code. :roll: :twisted:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
FredFromOssett
KG Regular

I installed the upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.1. The installation itself seemed to go OK, but I discovered that Microsoft Money would not open, telling me that I needed to install Windows Explorer 6 (yes, six!) which I was not inclined to try. The result of this was that about 15 years of financial records became inaccessible at a stroke.
I also discovered that my additional email accounts did not load across automatically and needed to be re-installed. The feel of the new system seemed rather different from 8.1, and after a few days trial (and error) decided that the loss of MS Money was not worth the new Windows, so restored 8.1 through the available link in 10. The re installation was problem free, with Money and email accounts restored OK.
I may try again once Windows 10 has been up and running long enough for Microsoft to address the issues with it, and will be very wary about being an unpaid guinea-pig for software upgrades in future.
John
KG Regular

Thanks for your replies everyone.
I think I'll hang on for the moment as suggested and wait till the dust and a few bugs have been sorted out before I attempt an upgrade.
John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
Shallot Man
KG Regular

maybe we should all wait for a reply from peter.
John
KG Regular

Well after waiting for the dust to well and truly settle I've upgraded to 10.
All went well though it does require a little patience as it took nearly 2 hours.
My laptop just gone with it all by itself and towards the end restarted a few times, part of the process I think.
As is usual with MS you finish up with Explorer or Edge as they now call it. Pretty soon switched back to the only browser worth using - Firefox.
All my old programs are working and everything is just that bit neater and slicker.
Gone are all those silly things in 8 that appear if you wander to close to the edge of the screen.
John
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic