Garden Pearl tomatoes

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Diane
KG Regular

Has anyone grown these - what do they taste like?

Reason for asking.....I found a packet of seeds dated 2013 and I planted loads (just to see what would happen) ... and they've all grown! - but I keep reading that they don't really taste very good. Shall I bin them? Or not? I wouldn't want to give them as gifts to friends if they don't have much flavour.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
dan3008
KG Regular

hi diane
I have grown garden pearl many a time, and personally, I like the taste. But thats just me I suppose.

There not quite a traditional tomato, and have a some what weaker taste than most. And not as sweet as a most popular tomatos either.

Since you've got them, Might as well try them :)
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

I've grown these. Small and didn't taste of a lot. I let the husband choose the tomato seeds each year (he's the cook in our house) and to be honest he said don't bother again. But, as Dan said, if you have a pack already, no harm in trying one or two plants if you have the space.

Pawty
Diane
KG Regular

Thank you for your replies. I'll keep a couple, seeing as how they've done their best to grow. Will be interesting to compare them with others.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

They are a dainty tomato and I grew them in tubs among the tubs of bedding plants in a sunny spot outside. If they get enough sun they taste very nice.
Primrose
KG Regular

I was given a couple of spare plants to try by a friend two or three years ago and found them very disappointing. They were smaller than the tumb,ing red tomatoes I usualy grow and found they had little flavour and were realy too small to do much with. i ended up freezing them whole and using them to fill out soups and casseroles
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic