Frilly sprouts

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Catherine
KG Regular

We picked our first frilly sprouts today. A cross between curly kale and sprouts. We bought the plants from a garden centre in the summer, just on a whim. They are delicious. Lightly steamed they are really nice. I did take a photo but it was blurred and I couldn't post it.
Monika
KG Regular

Catherine, we have grown flower sprouts for the last two years. At first I wasn't that impressed because they take up an awful lot of space but I have really grown to appreciate them: very tasty, extremely hardy and they do not seem to suffer from any problems like slug (or even pigeon) attacks!
Highly recommended.
Westi
KG Regular

I'm not a great lover of sprouts but I like every other brassica though. (Do like the tops big time)! I only grow them for my mother in law who has a bit of an addiction. Interesting to see these don't suffer as much pigeon damage, as those feathered monsters also seem addicted to my sprouts just like m-in-law.

I think you may have convinced me - to convince her that these are yummy & grow only these so I am not always mucking around with tightening the netting & putting the canes back upright when the pigeons do the bounce.

Westi
Westi
Catherine
KG Regular

Up till yesterday I didn't cover these plants up, or the cavolo nero, but our neighbour complained to me yesterday about the rabbits and the pidgeons taking out his sprouts. So I covered them up yesterday. Not sure I needed to.
Monika
KG Regular

Westi, flower sprouts do not taste of sprouts, they taste more like savoy cabbage or kale, but the advantage is their sprout-like size - you can pick as few or as many as you like. If you have enough space, do try them. They need to be planted at least two feet apart to thrive.
Westi
KG Regular

Thanks Monica.

Just filling in my order for the allotment seed order from Tuckers and they have Petit Posy Mix - it says they produce green & purple flower sprouts - are these the ones or have you a recommendation from another seed supplier?

Westi
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

I got mine from Marshalls in the past and have ordered from DT Brown (where I get most of my seeds every year). I think they are all the same - a hybrid between kale and Brussels sprouts.
dan3008
KG Regular

Monika wrote:I think they are all the same - a hybrid between kale and Brussels sprouts.

mmm that's an interesting thought... I've recently got into seed breeding, to try and get some new and unusual variates... I wonder if I can deliberately cross kale and Brussels and get something worth growing ... hmmmm

My squash are crossing well. So it must be worth a shot :)
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Pa Snip
KG Regular

I cant help but feel that this post highlights something......122 views resulting in 7 posts.
I am wondering if people were looking in in the hope of seeing a picture of Catherine's frillies :lol:

(Her Brassica's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tut tut you lot :D )

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Catherine
KG Regular

Well I will have to oblige Pa. :)
Attachments
frilly sprout.jpg
frilly sprout.jpg (145.02 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
dan3008
KG Regular

Pa Snip wrote:I am wondering if people were looking in in the hope of seeing a picture of Catherine's frillies :lol:

(Her Brassica's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tut tut you lot :D )

Well, I was kind of hoping for a photo.

... The sprouts... Too many dirty minded people here... I'm not used to us being the majority lol

-edit-
And now we've got one :-)

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Catherine
KG Regular

I couldn't find my posting a photos instructions earlier. Just found them so thought I would oblige the request. :D
dan3008
KG Regular

They look absolutely delicious. Makes me hungry just from the photo... And imagining them on my Christmas dinner plate :-D

Catherine
KG Regular

I dont think they will last until Christmas. But they are really delish and I will be sowing them again next year. :)
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Catherine, they do look impressive frillies, very alluring and so frilly in fact that I wonder if you have an excess of them would they be any good for can canning (oh this stutter )

I have been given a couple of these plants to try but mine are nowhere near as good looking as yours.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic