Upcycling, Recycling or whatever you wish to call it

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

As somebody was about to dump their decking my daughter decided it may have a use rather than being sent to the tip.

There was about 15 lengths approx. 7ft long that needed a good clean up and tidying.

DSC_189101.jpg
DSC_189101.jpg (139.08 KiB) Viewed 2925 times

After a good wire brushing and a coat of preservative it looked a lot healthier

DSC_190010.jpg
DSC_190010.jpg (68.29 KiB) Viewed 2925 times

Both my daughter and I had the same use in mind so between her husband and I we set to work.

It was whilst I was on the plot on my own that some of my fellow plot holders came forth with their thoughts on what I was making.

Can you guess what they were ?? lol

Comments centred upon it being rather deep for the pall bearers to carry to what design was I going to make the lid :D

DSC_201234.jpg
DSC_201234.jpg (118.07 KiB) Viewed 2925 times

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

DSC_201133.jpg
DSC_201133.jpg (71.82 KiB) Viewed 2924 times

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
dan3008
KG Regular

my first thought was raised beds... but they look a bit to deep for that... what's going to end up planted in them?
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Primrose
KG Regular

Add a water pump and you could have a rather nice outdoor Jacuzzi in the bigger one, but it's a bit too chilly at the moment for me to come and test it out :lol:

On the other hand, I suppose it would be rather a convenient place to bury the proceeds of a robbery.

Go on, spill the beans. What ARE you going to plant in it ?
robo
KG Regular

I think he's going to plant the guy that won't work his plot , just to show him how it should be done
Primrose
KG Regular

Having looked at these receptacles again, I've come to the conclusion that Pa Snip is going into the Beauty business and setting up a series of mud baths where you smother yourself in clay and earth, sit for three hours and then emerge looking 30 years younger, muttering "Because I'm worth it." However, if they're going to be full of this composted manure he's recently had delivered I'm not sure there will be too much demand.

Perhaps they are just going to be compost storage bunkers, like the old coal bunkers that people used to have when everybody had coal fires?. They look very posh though. Pa Snip, you may be at risk of your plot rent being elevated up to the next Council Tax level !
Pa Snip
KG Regular

:D I am loving these suggestions

robo wrote:I think he's going to plant the guy that won't work his plot , just to show him how it should be done

Brilliant Robo, if only I had thought of that. That saga continues with emails bouncing back and forth between the council and I.
Your reply has an element of closeness lol

Primrose

Once again your imaginative mind has come up with two very good ideas,. :D
I could capitalise on those

dan3008
KG Regular

oh wait, are you building a mini bar? with a root cellar setup for storing the booze?
Once the game is over the king and the pawn go back in the same box. Anonymous

Exploring is like walking, where the walking decides where we're going. Bob the dinosaur from dinopaws
Pa Snip
KG Regular

There isn't much else to do at 04:45 in the morning so time to own up on this one.

Your suggestions are much much better than the truth of the matter.

Dan had it right from the off, raised beds nothing more.

They are 30 inches high. Usage will be for strawberries.

A bit OTT I hear you cry, yes maybe but my daughter suffers from Fibromyalgia and finds the current strawberry bed causes her pain to pick fruit or look after plants as in fact does anything that is low growing. So I shall be making other beds for carrots, parsnip and beetroot etc.
There will be enough raised beds for them to have their own rotation plan

Eventually one of them will also hold my ashes, so robo was also on the right track.

The use of these will free up a larger area of ground which will then allow a four bed rotation plan

The really expensive bit is the cost of filling them with soil.

A neighbouring plot holder is going to be disappointed, he had viewing appointments with potential tenants lined up for next week. He reckoned that would give me enough time to add the toilet and kitchen.

Stephen
KG Regular

Pa, surely it would have been easier to make troughs with three lengths and support these at the right height?
I am astonished at how much soil andanure you have shifted!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Hi Stephen

I would agree it would be possible but when in the planning stage I considered it and I decided making a base would not only be more complex when supporting it off the ground, it would be likely to become misshapen and even rotten from moisture build up.

Would not have saved much in terms of wood usage, certainly wouldn't need as much soil in I agree.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic