What a great resource, but ...........

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Admittedly I have only been a member for a few months since Dec 2014 and winter months are not the busiest but I can't help thinking this forum board seems a great form of sharing information that is under utilised.

There are over 3000 members registered but at the moment you could count on fingers and toes how many post on a semi regular / regular basis. Of course that membership list goes back a long time and many will have moved on.

I hope that as the 2015 growing season comes more and more into effect there will be an upsurge. So far I have had some very helpful replies, both suggestions and definitive answers, to my posts and I thank those regular participants for their input.

It's good to hear, and see, how others do things and what they find succeeds or fails.

:D

P.S: Yes I am aware you can take a horse to water .................. :lol:

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Tony Hague
KG Regular

It seems to be a problem affecting fora in general. I admin a forum facing a similar struggle to engage new members. People have drifted off to social media; it takes less effort to click "like" or share somebody else's cat photograph than to actually post useful information or a helpful reply to a question.
Geoff
KG Regular

It is sadly quiet - perhaps all the questions have been answered - do you use search much? - there is a vast amount of information available in old posts.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Hello Tony

I suspect you are right about the social media aspect and my experience seems to be much the same as yours about such forums in general.
Sounds like you've seen the same cat picture share as I have :D

I shall plod away making my own posts and hope that some find them useful, interesting or informative as the case may be.

Morning Geoff
Thanks for your reply
It is fair to assume that over the timescale this forum has been in existence most subjects have likely been covered in some shape or form.
Almost everything tends to be cyclical, what goes around comes around as they say.

I have indeed used search in some instances but do sometimes personally feel that posting afresh can bring a new slant, and new participants, to a subject rather than resurrecting a thread which may be ages old or was originated by someone who no longer seems to be participating.

I'm not being critical, far from it.
Since joining the forum I have read some interesting and informative subjects and hope to continue to do so.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
retropants
KG Regular

it is a bit quiet, yes. I pop in a few times ech day. I read all new posts, answer if I can, and ask questions when I need to. I am not keen on facebook, twitter I leave alone, as for pinterest, instagram....who has the time? :lol:
Pa Snip
KG Regular

as for pinterest, ....who has the time?

:D retro

A social media site devoted to hearing a sharp pointed piece of steel drop, who'd ever have thought it huh

retropants
KG Regular

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Diane
KG Regular

Well, I'm here...I just love this forum. So helpful and such nice folk. :D
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Westi
KG Regular

I totally agree it does seem to be the same folk regularly visiting & it can seem like a cycle of the same topics & questions coming up but the thing is we learn & develop confidence, with this comes experimentation & new ways of doing things - some not intentional mind! :D So relevant to ask again as we all might learn something new.

Every year the manufacturers come up with new products etc & I value the first hand opinion of the performance of these better than the blurb that comes with them.

I do have KG on my FB feed & do so love just liking comments but that's a completely different medium & actually not as anonymous as this forum. I do think a review of some of the topics on the Board Index could be good as new members often seem confused as to where to ask something & that could put them off so might just be viewing not joining.

Westi
PS: I have cats on my FB page! :lol:
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Pa Snip, i think if the truth is known, we probably only have around thirty regular members. We have new members come and go, like most forums, but we certainly don't ever seem to build the numbers up significantly.

What always amazes me though, is that there are not many questions that don't get some sort of an answer, so i'm very proud of all our members.

We have had a few really good members join recently, that have added so much to the forum, and you are certainly one of these.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

What always amazes me though, is that there are not many questions that don't get some sort of an answer, so i'm very proud of all our members.

We have had a few really good members join recently, that have added so much to the forum, and you are certainly one of these.

Indeed OH I have noticed that no question seems to stay unanswered for very long

And what makes it all the more enjoyable is that humour often creeps in as well.

:oops: I'm glad you think my participation adds something to the board, cheers, I shall endeavour to continue to do so. You'll all have to forgive my lapses into my perverse sense of humour along the way sometimes though :oops:

Pa Snip
KG Regular

And thank you to all who have commented on this to date.

Motherwoman
KG Regular

This forum is having your gardening friends with you even when you're sat at a computer. We are a community and it's a pleasure to join in.

MW
Elaine
KG Regular

I love this forum and it is the first place I turn to with a gardening problem. There are some lovely folks here and I feel I am among friends....no need to feel shy of asking "daft" questions, as someone will always be able to help with good suggestions. Such a wealth of knowledge!

It's true, there aren't so many participants these days but I can't believe folks all gravitate to the Facebook groups...I posted about the ones I tried, as I wasn't impressed. :roll: I recommend this forum to new folks on our allotment site, if they have a computer, though I don't know if any have joined. Having said that, I love FB and the cat posts.
Guilty as charged :oops: :lol:

This forum is my first port of call every day, when I switch my laptop on , though I don't always reply to folks posts, unless I can offer sound advice. I do add a bit of cheek though. :) and a few grumbles......
Happy with my lot
Monika
KG Regular

This forum is my daily "fix", usually around the time of the Archers on the radio which I have listened to for nigh on 60 years and my OH heartily dislikes. It's amazing what range of questions are answered by members, even if the reply takes some time in coming.

What saddens me, though, is that this forum is never mentioned in the KG magazine nowadays. Other gardening magazines (and I buy three others quite regularly) tend to devote at least part of a page to their forum.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic