Malvern Autumn Show, the good bits and .....................

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

........................... the bits that surprised me

First the bits that surprised me
1) No one else said they were going on the threads where I asked.
This also was the case earlier in the year when I asked about both the Edible Garden Show and the Blenheim Palace Flower show

It surprises me because it is obvious from your posts that you are far from geriatric couch potatoes.

2) Surprised and disappointed that Kitchen Garden Magazine was not present, or represented, at the Autumn show.
Yes I know from experience how much trade stands cost but this show attracts thousands and thousands of visitors on both days. I should have taken a picture of the coach park :D

The show caters for a wide variety of interests, not just gardening, but that section of the show is one of, if not, the biggest.

Just to give a flavour of the vegetable side of things I shall post a few pictures, they can speak for themselves.

DSC_0822233.jpg
DSC_0822233.jpg (68.39 KiB) Viewed 3529 times

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

DSC_1003398.jpg
DSC_1003398.jpg (47.67 KiB) Viewed 3526 times

DSC_1029424.jpg
DSC_1029424.jpg (60.81 KiB) Viewed 3526 times

DSC_1031426.jpg
DSC_1031426.jpg (62.83 KiB) Viewed 3526 times

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

DSC_1035430.jpg
DSC_1035430.jpg (58.85 KiB) Viewed 3526 times

DSC_1037432.jpg
DSC_1037432.jpg (67.2 KiB) Viewed 3526 times

DSC_1040435.jpg
DSC_1040435.jpg (76.95 KiB) Viewed 3526 times

Pa Snip
KG Regular

DSC_1041436.jpg
DSC_1041436.jpg (86.14 KiB) Viewed 3525 times

DSC_1045440.jpg
DSC_1045440.jpg (70.1 KiB) Viewed 3525 times

DSC_1049444.jpg
DSC_1049444.jpg (40.86 KiB) Viewed 3525 times

Pa Snip
KG Regular

DSC_1045440.jpg
DSC_1045440.jpg (70.1 KiB) Viewed 3524 times

DSC_1051446.jpg
DSC_1051446.jpg (89.19 KiB) Viewed 3524 times

DSC_1059454.jpg
DSC_1059454.jpg (89.5 KiB) Viewed 3524 times

Pa Snip
KG Regular

DSC_1067462.jpg
DSC_1067462.jpg (41.68 KiB) Viewed 3524 times

DSC_1069464.jpg
DSC_1069464.jpg (42.01 KiB) Viewed 3524 times

DSC_1074469.jpg
DSC_1074469.jpg (49.06 KiB) Viewed 3524 times

Pa Snip
KG Regular

And in another marquee was the Heaviest veg competition. Due to difficulty in getting a clear picture I only took the pumpkins.
Heaviest one being 253kgs, that's quarter of an imperial ton to you and me or otherwise known as.......

Damn Heavy !!!!!

DSC_1139532.jpg
DSC_1139532.jpg (29.43 KiB) Viewed 3524 times

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening Pa Snip, the trouble for me is, when all the shows are on, i'm always at my busiest. But with all your wonderful pictures, it has saved me a few bob, as it seems as if i'm there in person.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

I've got cauliflower envy for a start from your pictures! Great displays of beautiful produce.

Thanks Pa Snip!

Westi
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Evening Pa Snip, the trouble for me is, when all the shows are on, i'm always at my busiest. But with all your wonderful pictures, it has saved me a few bob, as it seems as if i'm there in person.... :)

Morning OH

I hope no one thinks I was being critical, I was just expressing surprise. Perhaps my perception of how many actually look at this board is greater than reality.

Certainly the number of regular contributors can probably be counted on 4 hands so the likelihood of many attending different shows around the country is low

This is such a useful feature that allows us to share experiences, events, problems and even successes that it seems a shame that more people don't use it.

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Westi wrote:I've got cauliflower envy for a start from your pictures! Great displays of beautiful produce.

Thanks Pa Snip!

Westi

Westi I am glad you like.
I confess I was surprised by the number of Cauliflower entries, and their quality

There were so many other elements to the show besides gardening but it would be improper of me to post pictures on this board as they would be unrelated to the boards purpose and subject.

As you may gather..... I enjoyed myself :D
And the most enjoyment came from managing to walk up to the top (eventually with a lot of pauses to rest a while) of the Malvern Hills, tread in Sir Edward Elgar's footsteps and marvel at the view over England one side and over Wales on the other, without moving an inch. I took a 360 degree video to relive the moment as and when I need inspiration.

Indeed a Land of Hope and Glory

Geoff
KG Regular

I don't go to shows as it usually "standing on heads" and I'm not good with crowds. There don't seem to be many people in your photos, were you in at some special time? I think KG do the Harrogate show in the Autumn, I nearly went this year as my b-i-l was there winning Dahlia prizes.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Hi Geoff,
got to the show early (09.15, it opened at 9am) and headed for the veg pavilion before it got crowded out.., via the classic cars display first as getting clear shots of them later is almost impossible,

The place was actually heaving during the day, and like you I cant say as I am tolerant of crowds.
Why oh why do people have no awareness of others around them, they suddenly stop dead and just stand in the middle of paths around the show. Groups stop and form a circle to hold a conversation, GRRRRR get to the side of the path out of the way !!!! And as for those poxy trollies that are sold for carrying purchases around ......
Cant say too much as Mrs Snip uses one (when she remembers to put it in the car !!)

Oh my word, you've got me on a rant Geoff.

As for number of people in pics, I always attempt to avoid getting people in the picture, they are not the purpose of the exercise. It's just a combination of planning, luck and timing.

Update
Organisers say 65,000 attended

Primrose
KG Regular

Thanks for all the photos Pa. Snip. It's always fascinating to see the best efforts of other growers, especially in summers where we've had unreliable weather. As OH has said, you've saved us all the cost of travel and entrance fee! Perhaps in future Kitchen Garden will be employing you as their freeland roving reporter. :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic