Horse fly bite remedies please

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Catherine
KG Regular

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas/remedies on how to control a horse fly bite.

I have been bitten for the second time and have had a really bad reaction again. The first time I was bitten on the front of my leg and it had a huge lump, a swelling and red stain all the way down my leg. My leg was like a tree trunk. I ended up getting some antihistamine cream but it took ages to go. I can't take antihistamine tablets.

On Saturday I was bitten on my wrist and now have a huge swollen wrist the lump is the size of a fifty pence peice the red stain is from the base of my thumb. Again I have started on the cream but it will get worse before it starts to improve. I need something natural which will work quickly. (It takes several days to get an appointment with my Doctor!!!!) Any suggestions please.
Primrose
KG Regular

Catherine., Obviously can,t give you medical advice But the important thiing to do is to avoid cellulitis which is caused by certain kinds of insect bites. In such cases the red swelling area increases, covers an ever wider spreading area and can be dangerous. My husband has had this a couple of times and his GP advice for monitoring future bites was to to draw a biro ink boundary diary around the bite site and if it keeps spreading and you can,t get to a GP surgery to get antibiotics, to go to A&E

If it isn,t this kind of bite, some ice cubes in a cloth may help to reduce the pain but as venom from the bite will be internal rather than on the skin surface I doubt whether dabbing with something like TCP will help. Have you tried talking to a local pharmacist? They can sometimes come up with helpful suggestions.
Catherine
KG Regular

Thanks Primrose I did see my Pharmacist and he gave me the cream and also said the same thing about the red swelling. I have put lavender oil and a cold cloth on it at the moment. If it is no better tomorrow I will go to the A&E if I can't get to see anyone at the doc's. Our doctor does the triage before you can even see a doctor. Hopefully it will go down overnight :) Never heard of cellulitis. Don't know why I am reacting like this to these bites.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic