Rolling up fencing wire

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Barry
KG Regular

I am currently migrating from one allotment site to another some 50 miles distant.

To save on cost, I am trying to take as much of my existing material with me as possible, which includes a 25-metre section of anti-rabbit fencing.

This has to go in the back on my Yaris.

What is the best way to roll up fencing to get the most compact roll possible? Does anybody have any tips?

I ask because, usually, the nice, compact bundle of fencing that you buy becomes several times larger when I try to manually rewind it. There has to be a technique to get something smaller, albeit not quite as tight at when purchased.
peter
KG Regular

Lsy it out on a clean flat surface and use two people.
One on their knees rolling it as tight as possible.
The other stood up and keeping the unrolled section straight and under a little tension for the first to pull against.

Once rolled up number two produces rope to bind the roll tight.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Two suggestions for you.
Ask a local carpet shop for a cardboard tube that carpet comes rolled on

Alternative, I gave up trying to roll wire when I hadn't got any tube
Lay it flat, fold the 25mt length back on itself so it becomes 12.5mt and walk on it to flatten it.
Then fold back on itself so it is 6.25mt and walk on it
Repeat process until a manageable size to fit vehicle

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

This problem seems to follow the law of averages, ie Nothing, once unpacked or unravelled will fit back into its existing proportions ! .

We have a pop up gazebo that once erected refuses to squeeze back down small enough to fit into its canvas carrying case without an almighty battle .

And my emergency lightweight showerproof anorak always refuses to fold back down small enough to fit back into its matching little carrying pouch.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

someone's opened a can of worms !! who is going to try and repack them :D

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Beti was eight weeks old, three kilos and a nice snugly fit into the puppy transporter (soft cage) we bought to bring her home. Now at fourteen weeks she's nearly doubled in weight and size. No matter how much I squeeze and roll her up I can't get her back into that carrier.

Any ideas ?

:D

Sorry.

Those rolls of wire are rolled by a machine, I used the carpet roll once and that works but with two people because the wire always springs back. A very frustrating problem to be dealt with on a day when you don't go grumpy easily.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Barry
KG Regular

I successfully recovered the 25m fence today.

There was only me, so I had to simply get on my hands and knees and roll it. The result wasn't pretty, but was compact enough to fit into the back of my car, which is all that I really wanted. The fence is now in the garage, awaiting redeployment on my new plot.

A couple of weeks ago, I pulled all the stapples out on the fence, allowing it to flap about, only minimally supported, the idea being that today's retrieval would be a piece of cake. Far from it! The 10m section alongside my line of raspberries was an absolute !"£$%^&* to get out, since the roots had grown through the base of what was an anti-rabbit fence. It took three times longer than I had anticipated to free it, but I did get a sense of satisfaction in the end, although found I needed a further 30 minutes just to pull out all the gunk and weeds.

Nevertheless, at around £50 to buy, I still reckon it was worth the effort to recover it and redeploy it on my new plot.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic