Gardening catalogues

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

You can tell winter isn't far away. The first of my new season's gardening catalogues arrived this morning. D.T Brown. It's the thickness of a telephone directory. :lol:
Fashion catalogues I can throw unopened into the paper recycling box without even opening but despite my overflowing seed packet boxes I can,t resist plant catalogues! i'm.not betting that I won't be tempted into falling for something new!
John
KG Regular

Haven't had any catalogues yet - strangely they always seem to turn up on Monday mornings. Is is cheaper to send them out over the weekend perhaps.
Winter is certainly coming as our local supermarket now has shelves stocked with chrissy puds, mincemeat and so on.
Must go and order the turkey!

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Westi
KG Regular

I'm getting e-mails to say they are coming but none, (well, except for bulbs & flowers ones) have turned up yet! I go through them time & time again & change my mind on things (usually based on another's being better value), but sometimes it a personal smack from being silly & picking something on name alone! (Although my 'Drunken Lady' Russian Lettuce has been successful & is tasty, colorful, hardy & quick to grow)!

Westi

PS: No Xmas things in the shops down here yet John but won't be long I expect! :D
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

Our DT Brown catalogue came this morning, too, and has already been perused. I was rather dismayed to see that I have been replaced - see page 29, bottom right, Primrose!

Many years ago, the new seed catalogues came out around Christmas and it was always something to look forward to (when I was working full time), then they gradually crept to earlier and earlier times and I think DT Brown has now beaten them all to it!

In any case, I certainly like DT Brown seeds, they never disappoint which cannot be said for all firms.
Primrose
KG Regular

Never mind Monika. I'm sure your non bolting properties have been well noted by everybody on this forum. :D
Yes, everything gets earlier and earlier every year. I hate this practice which is obviously spurred on by retailers competition in the hope that the first catalogue on the doormat gets the order. All it does collectively is spoil each season for its own qualities. When Christmas cards and seasonal decorations start appearing in shops in September I just disengage from the whole process altogether.
Last edited by Primrose on Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff
KG Regular

My DT Brown came today but still no magazine.
peter
KG Regular

Geoff, didn't you get an email about changed publication dates for some coming issues?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
John
KG Regular

Agree with you Monika about DT Brown. They are hard to beat and the service is excellent. Tuckers is another catalogue I look forward too. Huge selection and excellent quality seeds.

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
Geoff
KG Regular

No I didn't get the email but I did get the magazine today.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

And very nice to see the forum on several pages.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Geoff, the email concerned read as follows with changes to future issue dates.>

Attention, Kitchen Garden subscribers! The publication dates for upcoming issues of the magazine have changed. It’s nothing too drastic, but our next four issues – including the one which has just been released – have been pushed back by one week.

Here are the affected issues, and the amended dates when they will be posted to subscribers…

October 2015 issue | September 4

November 2015 issue | October 9

December 2015 issue | November 6

January 2016 issue | December 4

We’re aware that some readers and subscribers may not have known about this change and expect to have already received October’s magazine. We thought we’d send this quick message to confirm our plans, and assure you that the latest copy of your favourite monthly gardening read is on its way to you as we speak, just one week later than usual.

I hope this clarifies any confusion, and I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

As ever, if you have any questions regarding Kitchen Garden, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Paul Deacon

Subscription manager

Mortons Media Group

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

Sutton's & Brown's came through the letter box today! (Is it because I'm a 'W' I wonder)? Perfect timing as looks like a wee sprinkle of the wet stuff coming so perfect excuse to start browsing!

Westi
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

I have still not received a single catalogue.

I find this rather odd in one particular case as not only am I on their list as an individual, I am also the buying group contact for the allotment group

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

I was going to say "perhaps your surname's at the end of the alphabet and they're being sent out in alphabetical order" but in the D T Brown case, I'm towards the end of the alphabet so it can't be that.

Maybe companies just mail them out in batches. Expect they're probably sent out direct by the printers and the seed companies are continually updating their mailing lists as a result of summer purchases.. It must be quite an expense. You may just order a single packet of unusual seed and still be put on the mailing list. Printing and postage must cost them a fortune these days which is why they're probably all keen to boost their online business which helps to reduce costs.
Monika
KG Regular

Marshalls catalogue came today.

I wonder if the companies (seed companies or printers) sort the postings in postcode order. I believe that makes bulk posting cheaper. Our postcode is certainly at the start of the alphabet (as is our surname, as it happens).
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic