Late Summer Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

It seems to be a good year for plums then! Half the plums i was given were open frozen in halves last night and bagged up and the plum Jam is on the go as I type! Not really gardening weather today, is it? Typical soggy late summer Bank Holiday Monday !
retropants
KG Regular

My condolences Alan, so sorry to hear of your loss :( :(
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Primrose, yep pretty much par for course.

Snag here is that I have yet to pick the plums and if I don't soon they will be past best. Not keen on idea of getting soaked though, too risky..

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

I swear I can feel webbing growing between my toes! Mind my pumpkins seem to like it very much but just need a little heat! I'm a thinking there might not be an Indian Summer this year, loads of trees in the nearby woods I walk the dog are changing color & dropping off onto the track. :(

Westi
Westi
WestHamRon
KG Regular

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss Alan but am impressed by your desire to look to the future.
old codger
KG Regular

Sorry to hear about the loss of your wife,Alan, My heartfelt condolences. I had the same experience 5 years ago it's a lonely life but we have to live on.
Good luck for Thursday hope all goes well. Old codger.
All the best
old codger
Shallot Man
KG Regular

My condolences Alan.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

In respect of Alan and also the heart felt messages that have been left, i'm going to start a new Bits and Bobs.

I hope no one minds!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

Before OH, quite rightly, starts a new thread, may I say a heartfelt thank you to all of you for your kind thoughts and advice. As Old Codger said we have to live on, and that's just what I'm planning to do. Thanks again.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Bren
KG Regular

Alan. Sorry to hear of the death of your wife, I must have been away with the fairies as I haven't been on the forum for a while, it will take a while to get used to cooking or growing for I person. Best of luck with your eye op. tomorrow.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

I also haven't been on the forum much lately and want to pass on my condolences to Alan on the loss of your wife. Hope your eye op is going well today.

MW
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I was looking at replacement chains for my chainsaw and noticed they were selling sachets of something that "would stop even severe arterial bleeding" in other accessories section. I dont know whether I dare use it now.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Has anyone ever had success growing mushrooms from kits or logs?

I've bought several in the past but can't recall anything growing. I did once get a very good crop around the carrots and strawberries when I'd top dressed between the rows with spent mushroom compost.
Primrose
KG Regular

I was once given a mushroom kit as a Christmas present . It didn'tgrow a single mushroom.
Mind you, I suspect it had been re gifted by somebody who wasn't at all interested in growing things and was probably a year old. But I have known other people try them with a notable lack of success. I suspect the growing conditions probably have to be just right. . If you look at commercial mushroom growing environments they are pretty rigidly controlled and I suspect the amateur mushroom grower is rarely able to replicate those specific growing conditions.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Just thought are we on late summer bits and bobs or end of summer more like harvest bits and bobs at the moment.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic