Post holiday disease syndrome

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

I've just returned from holiday to a garden full of crops ready for picking and last night gave a visiting friend a bag full of surplus beans and jumbo courgettes .

This afternoon my doorbell rsng. There on the doorstep was a neighbour proffering me a carrier bag saying " I,ve just come back from holiday and have grown more than I can eat so can you use some of these ?.........

You've guessed! The bag was full of beans and marrows! Run folks! . The disease is spreading :lol: :lol: :lol:
Catherine
KG Regular

Yes I know what you mean. I grabbed my next door neighbour last night after being away in Shropshire from Thursday afternoon and got back on Monday afternoon. We called at the plot on our way home and picked the huge courgettes beans and sweet peas. As we were parking on the drive my really nice NDN came out to tell us that she had looked at our flower troughs on our front garden to see if they needed watering. So I off loaded courgettes, beans and sweet peas. It is early days at the moment so she is not hiding from me yet. :( Give it a week.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

It has spread to Berkshire and has advanced to Holiday Disease SYndrome
One of the allotment neighbours is on holiday this week.
Not in top form myself at present but went up to water my plot last night and noticed theirs was dry so watered theirs as well
>
Straightaway noticed the quantity and size of the runner beans that need picking (Variety Enorma).
Need sorting out as they are large pods with large seed growth and likely to already be stringy.
>
Same situation with almost marrow sized courgettes on their plot. Again need picking
>
Trouble is I have already given loads of beans and nice tasty round courgettes to my neighbours so when I go back up and sort their plot out I have no one in mind to give the produce to.
>
>
Maybe I can keep it cool and dark until they return home,
OR,
maybe Primrose has a good appetite after her holiday and I can step over the county border with a large carrier bag full of beans and courgettes :lol:

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

Pa Snip - hope you feel more perky soon.

I think it will soon be time for the box at the garden gate saying "Help yourself". That's what people round here do when all their surplus apples start cropping. Mind you,, round here there are some people round here who would pinch the container they're stored in as well. :(

Believe it or not I still have a couple of uneaten stored winter squashes in the garage from last autumn so any marrows will be well down the consumption list. Stuffed marrow in this house tends to be a bit of a penance, however tasty the stuffing. Can,t find any way of making it really exciting to eat. Any suggestions anybody?

Perhaps we should pass all our spare marrows to local poncy reataurants. Then they could use them as container boats for their meals instead of the wooden boards, tiles and slates and even shovels which some of them are now using instead of plates !!!
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Perhaps we should pass all our spare marrows to local poncy restaurants. Then they could use them as container boats for their meals instead of the wooden boards, tiles and slates and even shovels which some of them are now using instead of plates

Thanks Primrose,

And we spent years teaching our kids not to shovel food into their mouths !!!!!!!!!
Yet more irony

:D :D

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

maybe Primrose has a good appetite after her holiday and I can step over the county border with a large carrier bag full of beans and courgettes

Pa Snip. Fill your carrier bag with Victoria plums for compote to accompany my porridge and we have a date !! :lol:

I went to a restaurant the other day and noticed the latest poncy idea for serving Pate starters is in miniature Kilner-type jars with these spring clips like they used to put on some lemonade and ginger bottles. And in one of our village cafes this morning they were serving milk, not in little milk jugs but in miniature little glass milk bottles like they used to sell milk in when I was a kid in the last century when they used to have cardboard lids !!
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Now then Primrose how did you know the Victoria plum tree has come good on the allotment for the first time since being planted. It is crammed with plums at the moment but I have a feeling Mrs Snip has counted them.

If I am guessing right I think I might have to pay a visit to that village you refer to. Its been a while since I was there. :)

Primrose
KG Regular

Well, Pa Snip I hope you don't have too many squirrels around then ! Somebody I was talking to had a theory that they're not really after the plum flesh at all, but the tasty kernel inside.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

No squirrel problems up the plot, thank goodness.

Primrose
KG Regular

Well, the runner bean syndrome is still spreading. Just had an email from another
neighbour asking if I can relieve him of some of bis surplus ! :lol:
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Primrose, I suggest we attempt the first part of a runner bean chain, you start outside your front door and I will start outside mine, we lay runner beans end to end and see where we can get the two chains to meet and join up :D

If we work it right we probably both know of a village with a famous vicar where there are at least two famous restaurants. We might end up coming out on top by selling them some produce :lol: lol

retropants
KG Regular

the courgette syndrome has hit Middlesex now. My work colleagues have absolutely had enough of them. I am bringing in up to 10 twice a week, plus apples, but they don't seem to mind those so much :)

FYI, yesterday I baked some lemon zucchini muffins, used up 2 small courgettes. If they are nice, I'll share the recipe :)
clairelv1
KG Regular

WOO , sweet ! even i can't eat more but still feel very warm about this ! i want to be your neighbor! :lol:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic