What about green tomatoes

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I only grew a few green tomatoes this year, one of the three outside plants (James Wong method) produced nothing and the other two produced just green toms.

Is it really worth making the ubiquitous green chutney or is this cooking for the sake of it ?

I won't bother growing tomato again unless I buy a greenhouse or polytunnel and I doubt I'll do that unless we can afford to buy something that is investment addition to our property. This is the sort of place you would expect to find a greenhouse as part of the property.

So, what about green tomatoes ? They taste horrible fresh so presumably you mask that by adding other stuff to hide the horrible and satisfy yourself you didn't bin them and failed.

I can cope with failure, The single most effective way we improve is by risking and making mistakes.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Primrose
KG Regular

Richard, I've never really had sufficient large green tomatoes left at the end of the season to try this recipe, but somebody who has assured me it can be quite tasty,and it may be worth trying as an alternative to the dreaded green tomato chutney.

Fried green tomatoes -http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/fried_green_tomatoes/
Beryl
KG Regular

Just plain sliced and fried green tomatoes with mushrooms really are delicious and perhaps a rasher or two of bacon.

Beryl.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Thanks the tips, clearly worth a try. With the coming weeks sunshine I'm hoping for some improved colour to the few fruits I have. The two plants that produced next to nothing other than foliage possibly proves that stand art plants need human intervention. The plant that did produce was Tom Thumb.

I couldn't see the point in pruning and supporting an outside plant when the wind would have decimated it anyway so a natural (let it do what it wants) approach was decided on. All,the plants had plenty of light but not the warmth of a greenhouse so.................

Mr Wong like so many before him and no doubt after him (journalists) is just finding an excuse to fill the pages with little researched tosh. Those plants had everything they needed other than the warmth of a greenhouse. I even had them facing three different directions.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
retropants
KG Regular

I always use up the remaining green tomatoes on the plants in October for making chutney, with apples, onions, garlic, courgettes and chilli. It is delicious, and goes very well in sandwiches :)
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Richard

I just had this link from U-Tube e-mailed to me from Grow Veg. It's about ripening green tomatoes both on & off the vine. It's only just over 3 mins - might give you some hints to turn them red & edible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49K8Q3U ... 1s&index=1

Westi
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

I'm glad he didn't suggest storing the green tomatoes in an empty drawer to ripen. Some gardening writers still occasionally perpetuate this suggestion despite the fact that there is probably not a household in the country which possesses an empty drawer to its name !! :lol:
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

To say the very least, I'm enthused.

Next year I'll be going into my fourth year of being your apprentice, some mistakes I made early on we're silly mistakes you couldn't have helped me with unless you lived here, I solved a few possible mistakes by risking failure but mostly I had success and I didn't want to spoil my run by being bashful about asking. There is plenty of stuff about cooking green tomatoes but I would much rather hear from you if it's really worth it.

Thanks Emma.......et-al.

This weeks high pressure will be nice for us all, in my case I won't even get to do any tidying because of the painting jobs though I will give those tomatoes a last feed of comfrey in the hope it helps them flavour up or ripen.

At least with sanding and painting everything is above ground level and a playful puppy, Beti is now just over six kilos so she has doubled in size since we picked her up at eight weeks old. She's fourteen weeks almost and whilst being a little stunner in still working on some of the naughty habits like biking toes and chasing trouser legs.
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic