Asparagus is up!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

To me the start of the growing season is the arrival of the Asparagus & today I have been rewarded with my first crop - & it's all mine! (Just enough for one)! Amazing as there was nothing showing on Monday and then today some were about 10" high. Even harvested some cut & come salad I risked putting in early.

Now it's go, go, go until the Autumn with sowing, planting, harvesting, watering, weeding, fighting pesky pests & enjoying every minute despite the odd moan & groan!

Westi
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Asparagus is up in two of the gardens i work at but, it's the first new potatoes of the allotment that does it for me. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Indeed OH, the new potatoes are another treat to look forward to. I just find the asparagus magical, from the barren bed up they pop, then when you stop harvesting the lovely fronds wave in the wind, the odd berry glowing red, then the changes from shades or green to yellow to autumn golds, then you cut it down, mulch them & nothing for several months & the cycle begins again.

I always said the asparagus pays for the plot but that would be a bit of a fib in view of the rent rises. Actually I feel the same about all the fruit bushes & trees as well, anything that regenerates is magical, but Asparagus seems to come from nothing! At least when they move us the asparagus will be pretty much spent & nearing 20 yrs old.

Westi
Westi
Beryl
KG Regular

Yes, my asparagus is up to but even more exciting is I watched a the first bee coming and going in my new bug box. The wallflowers are out the cherry blossom is magnificent, what more could we want?

Beryl.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A cup of tea and a chat with me !!!!! :)

Shallot Man
KG Regular

OH. What no choc biccys.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

There's always plenty of them on offer too, Shallot Man.... :)

Beryl
KG Regular

Oh that would make the day just perfect OH - any time you are passing.

Beryl.
Elaine
KG Regular

I have never tried asparagus....I don't know why. I wouldn't know what to do with it. Steam it?
Happy with my lot
Beryl
KG Regular

Yes, Elaine but there are lots of others way to use it to. Once tried I am sure you will be hooked. Be prepared now for lots of everyone's favourite ideas.

Beryl.
Elaine
KG Regular

:D :D That would be nice, so long the ideas are simple! I'm not a lover of cooking. :oops: just eating. :roll: :lol:
Happy with my lot
Westi
KG Regular

Elaine the possibilities are endless but my current favorite is to just snap the stem (comes with it's own inbuilt mechanism to remove the tougher bits), pop them into boiling water until the stem gives a bit with a fork but is not soggy (only about 3 mins). Then I throw them in a hot pan with a bit of oil, toss them around until they catch a bit & have brown bits, then drizzle in some balsamic vinegar & let it bubble - then serve as a side. At stage one they are nice as soldiers dipped in soft boiled egg.

I always save some just boiled to top a salad with just a squeeze of lemon & drizzle of olive oil or pop them in a quiche or frittata with any other stuff I have in the fridge, peppers, toms, spring onions, ham etc.

Buy them & try them first to make sure you like them as you are committing a space in the garden for 20 yrs!

Westi
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

I love asparagus. Unfortunately we can't grow it (too exposed and windy), but I only buy and eat English asparagus, so I am having a ball at the moment.
My favourite way of eating it: steam it and then eat it with my fingers by dipping it into mayonnaise, home-made when I have time, bought when not. Delish ....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic