Spring has finally sprung, Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Clive.
KG Regular

Hello Geoff,
I had an email from Mortons this afternoon reporting a delay with KG June issue...that has unfortunately been delayed owing to logistical problems.

May 7th is listed as the new posting day...and back to regular timescale next month

So all being well delivery Friday or Saturday. :)

Clive.
Geoff
KG Regular

Thanks Clive, I was getting ready to complain mine was lost in the post. Probably been sharing printers and distribution with all the election leaflets I've been shredding into the compost, the hot air seems to be warming it nicely.
WestHamRon
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:The red highlighting was very amusing. :D

I thangyew.
Westi
KG Regular

A bit of a moment of shock & awe at lottie today. Planting some seedlings & a couple of bees really buzzing around quite loudly, so thought I'd best leave them alone. Stood up & looked around to see a whole swarm coming at me!

Moved to the front & watched them pass over. They were all moving in a spiral motion but quite apart & very loud. Eventually they moved north & over the hedge row. One decided the shed was quite a good place to rest up but eventually I coaxed it out & it flew off in the same direction as the others even though they had passed about an hour before.

Westi
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Wow Westie, that must have been quite a sight. I've only once previously seen a swarm of bees in action and they are quite awesome. They finally came to rest around the lower branches of a tree in a neighbour's garden near us and you definitely didn't want to be getting up close and personal to them. I eventually managed to help the neighbour track down an amateur beekeeper not to far away and he was only too pleased to come along and collect them to start up a new hive.

I wonder if the lonesome bee eventually managed to catch up with its fellow wanderers.
Monika
KG Regular

I managed to plant out all our brassicas and broad beans today, all grown in roottrainers. and, yipee, it's pouring with rain at the moment, so they should be well watered in.

Celeriac to follow over this weekend (under fleece) and then sowing peas which are pre-germinating in damp potting compost now.
Geoff
KG Regular

I had an email from Mortons this afternoon reporting a delay with KG June issue...that has unfortunately been delayed owing to logistical problems.

May 7th is listed as the new posting day...and back to regular timescale next month

So all being well delivery Friday or Saturday.

As Clive predicted, arrived today.
Clive.
KG Regular

Or in fact as KG predicted.. :wink:

....and mine arrived too. :)

Clive.
Primrose
KG Regular

And mine... With free seeds too that I will be able to use although I have never sown mint before... Always taken root cuttings, but useful I guess if you are starting from scratch.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

And mine....also glad to see our forum has had a little piece printed for the last few issues.

I see i'm still on their censored list... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Clive.
KG Regular

Been out to the local Stihl main agent today for a part for our 20 year old brushcutter....part was in stock and available straight off the stores shelf. :)

..and I see the main agent and son feature in the Stihl brochure....Stihl sales and service since 1964.

Then on to Anwick garden centre...it had been closed for some while for refurbishment...it's where I usually get my seed potatoes and onion sets but had to go elsewhere this year due to the refurb' work...so pleased to be back there again. :) but it did drive me to try some new Potatoes this year away from my regular tried and tested....i've been hilling some this evening.

Then back via RAF Coningsby where we saw the Spitfire XVI and Dakota take off. The Lancaster is poorly after an engine bay fire this week. :(

Bit worried tonight...I thought with it being wet I would use the Canterbury hoe to hill the potatoes...I went in the garage and looked up to where it used to hang 40 years ago.. :? :? :? ...can't remember where it is now in all my other detritus...so used a swan neck draw hoe instead....

Clive.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've had fun in the past dealing with my bees when they decided to swarm. The first time I had the instruction book in one hand and the soft brush, box and blanket ready to brush them off the tree, catch them and cover them up. Fortunately it all went well and I didn't get stung. I don't have the problem now as I have relocated the hive to a farm a couple of miles away as my neighbour didn't like having them flying in his garden!

I've had another insect problem today, I was tidying up the bench in the greenhouse that I over-winter a few tender plants on and I found a heap of nice fine compost around them. I thought I must have spilled some when I was topping the plant pots up although I couldn't remember doing it. Then I noticed lots of ants - they had made a rather large nest on the bench
and were crawling all over the place including my hands and up my sleeves.
Primrose
KG Regular

It must be high activity season for ants. I was vacuuming the lounge carpet yesterday and suddenly noticed them everywhere. We seem to have a similar problem every Spring. I find those little black RAID ant killer discs usually seem to resolve the problem quite quickly. The white powder is very messy.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

The green woodpecker is busy helping me out with the ants over the allotment. i find it quite amazing how they know where to find the nests!!!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
snooky
KG Regular

May Bugs(Cockchafers)are a pain lately, trying to commit suicide by flying into our windows!!Cats are having fun trying to knock them down to eat! :D
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic