2015 Springing Bits and Summer Bobs

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Quoting OH from Mid Winter Bits and Bobs thread
i think we need to change the topic to "earlrly spring bits and bobs",

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Second person this morning who has mentioned planting first earlies today. I'm going to hold off still as tempting as it is.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
retropants
KG Regular

I probably ought to buy some seed potatoes then!
Pa Snip
KG Regular

lol Retro
Now that is holding back, mind you there are plenty around in retail outlets still.

Probably wont be long before the grossly overpriced packs are reduced to something near normal prices

Yep, call me cynical lol

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

If i leave it a touch late in buying, there is indeed stacks of them left, apart from the sort i want and those shelves are empty.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

OH

That is because you are buying spuds, its called Murphy's Law :roll:

Clive.
KG Regular

Not wanting to be left behind, again.. :wink: I have planted some Vales Emerald and Lady Christl at work today...in the sloping South facing border in front of N. wall, tucked in a corner next to pigeon house....

All ready for the return of winter, easterly winds straight from the Ural mountains thread.... :wink:

Clive.
donedigging
KG Regular

I'm with you retropants.......
Think a trip to the garden centre is called for tomorrow.
In fact I haven't started anything yet this year due to one thing and another :oops:
donedigging
retropants
KG Regular

How did it get to be March anyway??? :lol:
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Mine are still sitting in their egg boxes, and there they will stay for a couple of weeks yet, mostly because I haven't finished digging the bed :oops:

Still digging nice leeks though...

MW
Pa Snip
KG Regular

All my seed potatoes are sitting in egg trays as well MW

Looked back at last years records and saw that my first early's all went in on 3rd April.

First plant (just one) I dug out was International Kidney on 17th June followed by one plant of Lady Cristl on 21st June.
The rest of those two varieties came out on various days up to the 29th June.

At the moment I still have a few 'prizewinner' leeks in but I'm doubtful they will make a good meal now. Look as if they are going slightly soft.
Could be time to compost those and prepare the bed for this year.

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I popped over earlier, to see if they were through yet...... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Westi
KG Regular

Had a very happy warm time burning off the two mega piles of the hedgerow trimmings yesterday & now have some very good wood ash to use as well.

Due to the amount they had to be piled where the potatoes were going, so now have to start digging that, so spuds will have to wait until that is dug, but that is fine as they are chitting well.

There is just something about a big out door fire - but I forgot to bring the sausages I intended to cook in the embers & mustard rolls just weren't going to do it for lunch! :D

Westi
Westi
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Agree about the whole bonfire thing, very basic cave-person stuff! :D Could have perhaps toasted the mustard rolls...?

Soil always digs a treat where there's been a bonfire and with less weeds too. :D

MW
Westi
KG Regular

Hi MW

I was sulking too much having forgot the sausages to think about toasting the rolls but that would have been fun!

Funny thing about fires is that they do attract the men! Had quite a few offering the appropriate, (or not) advise & help! Bit like having a BBQ at home, the men just gravitate to the coals & ruin perfectly good food I find! :D :D

Westi
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic