What a great resource, but ...........

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Elaine
KG Regular

Monika, I agree with you on that aspect. I remember when I first joined the forum, the magazine always had a selection from the topics...which is of course, how I learned of it!

I wonder why they no longer do this? Has anyone asked?
Happy with my lot
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I miss not seeing any forum topics in the magazine but, i just wonder if they think we are not talking about anything new!!!

So saying that, the readers letters are sometimes old hat....

And while we are on about things, although i do love GQT on the radio, some of the answers they give, are not really what the person has asked.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

What saddens me, though, is that this forum is never mentioned in the KG magazine nowadays. Other gardening magazines (and I buy three others quite regularly) tend to devote at least part of a page to their forum.

I have been surprised at that also. Prior to becoming a subscriber last March I had previously purchased the magazine in newsagents for quite some time.
Only found the forum by chance in December

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

And while we are on about things, although i do love GQT on the radio, some of the answers they give, are not really what the person has asked

I wonder if they get any idea of what they are going to be asked prior to recording.
I know first hand that it is not an easy thing to do 'live'.

Some years ago I used to be part of a local radio phone-in panel on a weekly gardening programme, although I was not on every week.

At the time I worked for one of the UK's biggest suppliers of pond remedies and associated products so my area of alleged expertise on the panel was water gardening problems. In other words pond problems. Being thrown live questions with no chance to reword or retract your answers called for a degree of thinking on your feet at times.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
WestHamRon
KG Regular

Monika wrote:This forum is my daily "fix", usually around the time of the Archers on the radio which I have listened to for nigh on 60 years and my OH heartily dislikes. It's amazing what range of questions are answered by members, even if the reply takes some time in coming.

What saddens me, though, is that this forum is never mentioned in the KG magazine nowadays. Other gardening magazines (and I buy three others quite regularly) tend to devote at least part of a page to their forum.

Completely off topic, but hopefully within the spirit of re-invigorating the forum.
When my first wife was pregnant, we didn't have a TV and listened to the radio.
For some reason we got into "The Archers" as well as our normal Radio 1 listening.
Fast forward a few months, we noticed our screaming brat(otherwise known as my beautiful daughter) would stop the moment the Archers theme tune came on.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Thanks Ron :D

You now have me humming The Archers theme tune over and over again, probably until bedtime, even though I don't listen to it that often.

At least its one of the few themes that has not been grossly updated and bastardised over the years.

peter
KG Regular

Billy Connolly proposedbit as a replacement nationsl anthem. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=y ... 9nnnM-__JQ
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Motherwoman
KG Regular

I'd forgotten that one Peter! I like a bit of irreverent comedy in the morning :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Elaine
KG Regular

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Love Billy Connolly....
Happy with my lot
Tony Hague
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:I miss not seeing any forum topics in the magazine but, i just wonder if they think we are not talking about anything new!!!

In which case it would be entirely in keeping :lol:

How much new is there to say about growing vegetables ? This is why I let my subscription lapse. For any subject there seems to be enough to fill a magazine for about two years before having to repeat the cycle. I'm just about there with Fine Woodworking too ... but maybe after "resting" them for a while I'll dip back in.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

In which case it would be entirely in keeping

With so many threatened with closure and a lot already boarded up or converted to mini supermarkets I am surprised you are still subscribing to Inn Keeping either
:D :D

Motherwoman
KG Regular

Himself goes to the local newsagent for his 'mens' magazine... tractors usually!

MW
Monika
KG Regular

My OH and I are terribly extravagant with magazines: as I said above, I buy 3 or 4 gardening magazines a month (and in spite of having gardened all my long life, I still learn something new all the time!) as well as two 'keep fit' ones and my OH's magazines are mostly on railways, shipping and vintage transport in general. None of the magazines are thrown away, they are all passed on to different individuals in the village and also to the sheltered housing complex. We also buy woodworking, yachting and canoeing magazines for send to sons and grandsons abroad.

But then, we have a good excuse, we don't have a television.
mr-cecil
KG Regular

I think we tend to ask when we are stuck, and then move on. However, I think it would be interesting to know how some questions end up working out, even if it is a year later....and it all went wrong.

On searching old threads - as a newbe, this sometimes raises more questions that it answered. As a relative new comer to this, the main thing that is so confusing about gardening is the amount of conflicting advice. I think sometimes we are just looking for reassurance!

Maybe there should be a section on lessons learned or the worst thing I ever did in the garden! However, that would mean owning up to making mistakes!
Pa Snip
KG Regular

As a relative new comer to this, the main thing that is so confusing about gardening is the amount of conflicting advice.

Hi Mr C
Advice always conflicts whatever the subject, with gardening I guess the fact we are dealing with ground that can vary considerably within a county let alone across the whole UK. Therefore experiences can be extreme opposites sometimes.
Even something as basic as watering a particular crop will bring forth conflicting advice

I guess we ask advice, decide which we like best, try it and if it works to a high degree 'bingo'. If it doesn't work its back to the drawing board.

Do agree with you about it being good to hear what results were when people are experiencing a problem

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic