2015 Big Allotment Challenge

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Jan 2nd, New series starts 9pm tonight on BBC2

Anybody any opinions on it ?

Snag with it as far as I was concerned was bringing people from all over the country to compete may create a 'level playing field' and be more cost effective for the production but does not really reflect the challenges we all have with our varying environments.

Not sure it truly fits into the 'reality' bracket

Nonetheless I shall no doubt watch the new series, at least at first, and take an instant dislike to someone :)

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Watched the first two episodes in the last series. That was enough for me.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Shallot Man, I can fully understand why.

Prior to it being shown I had thought it might be setting challenges to growers around different parts of the country at their own plots.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Cider Boys
KG Regular

I enjoy gardening and visiting other peoples' gardens for the pleasure and relaxation it brings me. I'm afraid organised challenges and competitions amongst gardeners seems to detract from what, for me, gardening is all about. There are some enjoyable gardening programmes now on TV but I don't think this will be one of them.

Barney
Santa_stunt_double
KG Regular

I managed to watch most of the first three episodes - not impressed

More style over substance - I guess they're more interested in who can grow the most colourful plot, have the most random planting etc. than actually what an allotment is - a place to grow what YOU want, and how you want it (and eat it).

And they never once seemed to relate to the big Allotment Questions - what do I do with all these Courgettes / Runner Beans.

Paul
Elaine
KG Regular

I'm not sure if we will watch it...we gave it a whirl last time and once we realised what it was about, we didn't bother with it. Too false and all about competition.

Our allotment may not be pretty, or anywhere near immaculate but we grow good stuff all the year round and most years, are pretty near self sufficient in the veg department.

That'll do fer me. :lol:
Happy with my lot
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Elaine, you have just summed up what allotments are really about...just chuck a bit of fun and plenty of laughs in, and we can't go far wrong.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

I did attempt to watch it but for me I'm afraid it is summed up by fact I fell asleep after the first potato segment and woke up half way through the mustard and sauce challenge near the end.

Only variation from last year appears to be it is 9 individuals not pairs.

Rating based on first in series...................... Manure

My instant dislike has to be JoJo, not nice sniggering behind her hand when one of the guys was being told what they had done wrong.

Diane
KG Regular

Agree with absolutely all of the above. Won't be watching it.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
robo
KG Regular

I must admit i was not sat on the edge of my chair with excitement, i wonder where the jar of mustard was grown that was used in the last challenge
Westi
KG Regular

Can't say it did it for me. This opening episode didn't really introduce the growers very well and they all came across as a bit bland and forced.
It will depend what is on the other channels whether I watch it again.

Westi
Westi
Tigger
KG Regular

I thought last year's was better when they worked in pairs.

Thane Prince could make sugar taste sour!
Primrose
KG Regular

Tell me please, does any female really garden and dig and plant wearing these poncy fashion outfits ? I garden in old paint stained trousers and sweaters that make me resemble the ,local tramp. . Everything about these programmes has an air of unreality about it.

BRING BACK MONTY DON ON FRIDAY NIGHT PLEASE. AND SOON,!
Last edited by Primrose on Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Haven't watched it but I can guess at the outfits... frocks and wellies?

I'm a T shirt, jeans and cheap hiking boots (digging) or trainers (no digging) gal myself. Jumpers and a unisex body-warmer from the local country store with lots of pockets and a good length to cover my back in a chill wind.

Just had a cuppa and watched Garden revival repeat to wake up, I'm not a great fan of Alys Fowler (can be frocks and wellies in places) but at least she was talking to serious growers without a competition element. Why must it all be competitions lately?

I do love 'Bake Off' as it's not nasty but we used to get great cooking programs where serious cooks showed you useful dishes, even Jamie O has gone all 'I'm using my outdoor bread oven' like we've all got one. And 'you can get this in your local Chinese store' not down here you can't!

MW
Elaine
KG Regular

Well, we watched it and was instantly picking it to bits...which doesn't bode well for the rest of the series. :roll:

Most of the growers got on our nerves..one bloke was so smug I could have wallopped him, :x
Another woman was gurning theatrically all the time and I could have wallopped her as well,
Then the daft lad who didn't sow his Zinnia seeds until about 6 ( or something equally silly) weeks before they were needed, needed wallopping.....

Erm, don't think we will be upset if we miss the rest of it... :wink:
Happy with my lot
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic