Compost accelerator

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

JohnN
KG Regular

Forgive me putting this query on this site, but it seems to be the most read and I wanted to wish everyone a Very Merry Christmas and Healthy and Happy New Year. I've enjoyed reading everyone :D
Question: Is a compost accelerator (Garotta?) worth using on a biggish heap, (6x6x4d) or is there another additive that works better? Many thanks.
alan refail
KG Regular

Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Shallot Man
KG Regular

I go along with alan refail. :wink:
Monika
KG Regular

JohnN, I use both:
- Garotta in the five compost bins at home and I certainly think it does help in the composting process
- the 'golden liquid' on the allotment, simply because that's the easiest way to get rid of it (not having a toilet on site) AND to help with the composting
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Monika, i bet you dread it when the compost bin is nearly full, as it must be a nightmare trying to scramble up, to get on top of the heap. :shock: :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Used to use Garotta but perhaps we are just fortunate in the current siting of our 7 heaps, on both plot and in garden, as they rot down quite well without it.

Agree with Alan though. I apply urine now and again usually at start of new season once the weather has got past the cold potential frost stage.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that female urine is more effective than male, although both work, guess its just more difficult to apply direct from source :D

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
WestHamRon
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Dear Monika, i bet you dread it when the compost bin is nearly full, as it must be a nightmare trying to scramble up, to get on top of the heap. :shock: :)

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/lifemarque-shewee-p99638
:wink:
Monika
KG Regular

OH, what are you implying? We have a clearly marked, venerable bucket in the shed for such purposes!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Monika, please forgive me but, you know what's it like when you get a picture of something in your mind. :)

WestHamRon, those things look totally useless, they don't look like they would hold any amount at all... :? :)

Motherwoman
KG Regular

...And it's very important to have a latch on the inside of the shed door... :shock:
Monika
KG Regular

Actually, we don't have a latch but just keep the door ajar (being a very small site in the middle of fields, we are mostly the only people there!), but I did have a near mishap (exposure?) one day when the wind caught the door and flung it wide open when there WAS somebody nearby. Luckily, they were deeply engrossed in their gardening - phew!

The She-Wee sounds attractive, WestHamRom!
Motherwoman
KG Regular

And going back to JohnN, sorry John we sort of went off-piste there :lol:

I don't use Garotta or similar I find adding nitrogen rich layers as you build up the heap such as grass cuttings or fresh chicken manure if you can get it very good at accelerating decomposition.

MW
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Oh yes, sorry John... :oops:

Motherwoman
KG Regular

It was funny though OH :D Climbing on top of the compost heap will make me chuckle for some time to come.

MW
JohnN
KG Regular

Love the pun MW :) Enjoyed the piss taking and thanks for the advice everyone, best laugh I've had for weeks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic