What's new for 2015?.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

The seed catalogues are starting to arrive and I'm wondering what new or different varieties people are planning to grow next year. I always like to experiment with one new vegetable or variety and wonder what others are selecting, or even a different method of growing it.
I see D.T Brown are advertising Cucamelon plants. Has anybody ever tried them and are they worth growing?

My experiment this year was growing Nantes carrots in a trough as well as in the ground. The trough grown ones are totally free of carrot fly but the soil grown ones are in much better condition than previous years and ptetty disease free too so I'm not sure what lessons I can draw from this.
Monika
KG Regular

Primrose, we have not grown cucamelon but a friend did and gave us some to eat - I decided then I wouldn't grow them. A strange taste and more skin than insides, if you know what I mean.
robo
KG Regular

We tried cucamelons this year they where nice i dont think i will go back to cucumbers
Diane
KG Regular

I grew cucamelons last year...very nice but you have to pick them really small (thumbnail size). Easy to grow - in the greenhouse, amongst the tomatoes. And I see there are even now little self seeded plantlets sprouting. I also grew electric daisies last year..great fun...will grow them again.
Waiting for the Chilterns catalogue to arrive as there are always new and interesting plants to trial.
In the T & M catalogue I see there is a dwarf patio raspberry "Ruby Beauty" which looks fun.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Diane, have you had all the emails from Chilterns, since they hae moved and the younger members of the family are now involved....it might be because i placed a order online with them.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Penedesenca
KG Regular

I have only had the chilterns cat. and I only got that yesterday. There were a couple of things that took my fancy cauli - purple cape (all the coloured ones I have tried in the past were F1's) and sweetcorn - baby fingers blue.
Unfortunately I am trying to be good as I have enough seed to be getting on with :oops: :)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic