A word on etiquette

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Mr Potato Head

Right then you lot... :x

It's come to my attention that there are a number of topics which are being dominated by a small minority of argumentative sorts. Whilst I'm all for a bit of healthy debate, some of these have gotten to be a little personal, and it makes others feel a uncomfortable.

I've been loathe to 'lay down the rule' on this forum, as for the most part, you're a weird bunch, and i don't want to anger you.. :wink: - oh, and I don't like rules much either.

So here goes.

1. Not one of us knows everything about gardening. No, really, you don't.

There we go. That's the rules. Bearing this in mind, I'd ask certain assertive, 'knowledgeable' and (argumentative?) outspoken members of the forum to try and stop sniping at each other and jumping on each others statements.

Here's some advice...

If you see a post that you think is provocative, ignore it.
If you can't ignore it, try and rise above it.
If you can't rise above it... use the private message thing, so we don't all have to read it.
Above all - try and stick to the topic!

Finally, I know that a recent debate about whitefly / toilet rolls, has caused some consternation. I would like to point you all in the direction of a message that exemplifies the ideal post in this situation.

Chez posted a thoughtful message citing evidence in support of Jenny's original posting - rather than just laughing at it...

Try and keep them a bit more like this; you're all old enough to know better.
Railway Child
KG Regular

Not me Mr PH, I'm only 24!!

But asides from that, I agree with your sentiments and will try to stick to the rules.

RC
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Now look here Mr Potato Head, just who do you think you are. OOh just remembered your the Site Admin. Of course you are right,i know i don't like any ill feeling, and doubt if any one else does. I think you have done a good thing stepping in now.
And yes i am certainly old enough to no better.

Kind regards the happy Old Herbaceous.

Like Mr P.H I'm a hard man with a soft collar.
lizzie
KG Regular

Ooooh Mr PH

You are soooo masterful, I feel quite week at the knees now. :twisted:

How I agree with you. I promise to stick with the dodahs you've laid down Tiger. If not, you can tell me off
Lots of love

Lizzie
Compo
KG Regular

Well done Mr PH, even though I might have 'bitten' a few times I can't agree enough, I will adhere earnestly, well done for biting the bullet.
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
Jenny Green
KG Regular

Whoops sorry Mr Potato Head. I've just noticed this after posting again about the whitefly. Personally I find heated debates entertaining and if I don't then I just don't read them. Are people really upset by my arguing with Johnboy? We've been bashing each other over the head for years now. We love each other to bits really!!!! (Well, I can't speak for Johnboy but personally I adore him.)
I don't really think it's fair to ask people not to respond to provocative comments. If one's dignity is challenged it's a matter of honour to reply!
Mr Potato Head

I can honestly say that my intention with the above post was to try and remind everyone that there are a myriad of opinions about ALL aspects of gardening (and everything else) that should be given due respect.

Apologies especially to Johnboy and Jenny - as I bumbled into a healthy (heated) debate, and was a bit rash to hold this up as my example. :oops:

I still stand by the general tone of my post though. Try and keep it civil - and if you're being jokey / flippant / angry - try using the 'Emoticons'. They're crude, but a well placed wink can avoid unnecessary wear and tear on our keyboards, and the wrath of the Potato Head... :wink:

Mr PH - I couldn't agree more with your comment that not one of us knows everything about gardening.

And years of gardening is not always an accurate measure of such. For those who feel they have little experience I would say, just because there are contributors who have been involved with growing their own veg for many years, this in no way means you won't know something they don't. New varieties, new products, new techniques, changing UK climate(?) keep this an evolving art/science. Not one of us will live long enough to grow every variety of everything, in all conditions, in every corner of the world or read every book there is to read.
Also, sometimes... just sometimes...

'There is a difference between 30 years experience and one year simply repeated 30 times'

Just a thought or two.
Chez
KG Regular

Oops again - me above.
The cow is of the bovine ilk
One end is moo, the other, milk.
peterf
KG Regular

good reminder that :) the person that knows it all really knows very little.(old northern proverb). :lol:
peat
KG Regular

as I was always told it is stupid people that think their clever.
Pete
skype me on pmrout
"To be a successful farmer, one must first know the NATURE of the SOIL" Xenophon , Oeconomicus 400 B.C.
David
KG Regular

I for one find the debates hugely entertaining and admit at times to being part of them. Personally I would never get truly cross with someone I dont know but I might challenge their position in a firm manner to get at the facts.Equally I would never take a comment personally I would just recognise that someone is testing me, which is good.

I believe that you have to accept the whole person and if the gift of great skill or insight makes someone a cranky old b*gger we should smile and welcome them.

David :D :) :lol: :P
vivie veg
KG Regular

Personally I don't mind the heated debate that sometimes occurs between certain persons to remain unnamed. I'm not sure who's winding who up half the time, but generally all culprits have enough good sense that it's worth indulging in their little squabbles.

At the risk of being sexist, MR Potatohead should practice the art of ignoring squabbling children as perfected by countless generations of women :wink:
I don't suffer from insanity .... I enjoy it!

Vivianne
Losos
KG Regular

First, apologies for resurecting a two month old thread but actually the subject matter is one which needs to be brought to the top from time to time.

I personally tend to avoid forums where there is excessive abuse & bad language (Even if it is all ****) :wink:

I hope this forum does not degenrate to the level of some American ones, or the one for Expats in CZ for that matter. As Pete says it is only stupid people who think they are clever. Here in Czechland there's an abundance of people who 'think' they are clever.
Regards
Allan
KG Regular

It ought to be realised that in all postings there are factors missing compared with face-to-face conversation
Body language including eye-to-eye expression
Voice intonation
These can make a vast difference to meaning and emphasis, thus in this respect the spoken word is better than the written word can be.
Now go back and read through the above again.
Another game you might like to play, try the TV with no sound, then the TV sound only. Which means more to you?
While you are viewing your 32 inch full colour Dolby Sound TV it is interesting to think just how many TV programmes are basically people talking.
Finally Mr P-H,to point out a phrase of yours
..."we don't all have to read it", I see nothing compulsary about any messages, it's up to the individual whether he or she reads any of it.
Allan
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic