Autumn Bits and Bobs and something else!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well it seems to be getting that feel of Autumn, even if the leaves on most of the trees are still green, although there were enough leaves on the ground to shuffle through, as i walked down to the other end of the village this morning. I do love Autumn but, it is also tinged with a little sadness as yet another growing season is starting to slow down. I know there is always plenty to do at this time of the year, but i'm sure you all know what i mean!

Oh, and the, "something else", anyone got any clues to what i'm getting at? :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Cider Boys
KG Regular

I must admit that I do not have the foggiest idea about 'something else' but I do share your feelings about Autumn Oldherbaceous. I think that this year has been a very good year for both vegetable and fruit gardening. Being an avid blackberry picker since a child I have been out this afternoon picking and this season's crop are one of the best ever. I hope to go mushroom picking soon but have yet to see any field mushrooms.

Congratulations on your 10000th post by the way!

Puts me to shame.

Kind regards

Barney
Motherwoman
KG Regular

That could be the 'something else.....'

Congrats on being beautifully verbose and very entertaining OH!
alan refail
KG Regular

Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Motherwoman
KG Regular

So Alan, according to your signature line only 1000 of OH's posts are true? What a naughty lad he is!
Westi
KG Regular

Congrats on the 10,000th post. I have fond them enjoyable & informative. (I won't mention the socks!) :D

A tad breezy down here but most of the leaves are still green so not many bald trees yet. Lots of berries in the hedgerows so will put the old wive's tale to the test this year. Personally I'm hoping for a mild winter - cold frosty nights with sunny days would suit me fine! It's been a good year for growing - I'm happy with my lot indeed.

Westi
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I haven't had the best way of celebrating my rather noisy achievement, as i went over the allotment after lunch, to take down runner beans. When i was about three quarters of the way through i was thinking how lucky i have been never to get one of those large bamboo splinters in my hand. So you can guess what happened five canes down the line, yes, a massive splinter in one side of my finger and bulging the skin the other. I carried on and took the rest of the beans down, knowing it was going to be devil to get out. Anyway, once home i started to operate, but no amount of digging or pulling would make it move, so i rang the Doctors who told us to get up the A&E.
So off to the Hospital, and after more digging about they gave us a injection, then a bit of cutting and probing, then out came the offending object. :) All wasn't lost though, i had the loveliest nurse i have ever met. :)
She did say i have to rest it for three days, then she said, that's never going to happen, is it. :)

Thank you all for your kind words.

Primrose
KG Regular

Bad luck with the injury OH. I reckon that is worth a couple of days in bed being waited on hand and foot and being served nice little cucumber sandwiches and peeled grapes to the invalid. I hate taking down bean poles . They are always so stubbornly wound around each ofher. I took mine down last weekend. Had I waited until today the wind and rain would peobably have done it for me ! But it,s good to feel that we can soon rest back on our laurels a little and enjoy all those harvests in fhe freezer.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Molly died yesterday, I dont know many people who knew Molly other than some of you lot who shared the humour of her stripping out a complete bed of radish and most of a bed of carrot. Then she would pull all the French bean bushes out of the ground by pulling on the pods.

She thought this new garden project that you-all nurtured me through was to feed her appetite for scrounging.

We don't know what killed Molly, she may have killed herself by feeding on a dead sheep in the next field along with all the other wildlife. Molly was an inveterate scrounge and a copraphagic. She would eat anything including rubber gloves and over the few years I often though she would be responsible for her own ending

She was poorly for three days then gone, the vet did find DCM which is common in older Cocker Spaniels though he regarded it as treatable.

Molly was ten years old, she was a pain in my ass but we were companions and friends, right now I'm hurting from crying for two days.

I managed to bury her in a special place in our garden, where else would you be able to whistle-a JCB to dig an appropriate grave within a few hours and not even get charged.

I built a shrine over her grave, so I can remember.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Richard, i know only to well what a big hole it leaves in your life, when you lose a close companion like Molly. So i'm very sorry to read your terrible news.
I know it will take a while but, i do hope you will remember her with a smile when you get to pick all your veg, without there being gaps of pinched veg.

Motherwoman
KG Regular

So sorry Richard.
Primrose
KG Regular

Dear Richard, so sorry to hear about Molly. Our pets are always special to us and leave a big gap in our lives. I hope in time the sadness will fade and her grave will remind you of the happy times you spent together.
retropants
KG Regular

Oh Richard, I'm so, so sorry to hear about little Molly. May she enjoy the abundant radishes in doggy heaven xx
Elaine
KG Regular

Dear Richard...I'm so sorry to hear about your lovely pooch, Molly.
It hurts so much to lose them..... our furry friends leave their footprints on our hearts forever.
Sending you a big hug.
Happy with my lot
Elaine
KG Regular

Dear OH..sorry to hear about your mishap with the bamboo cane..hope it heals soon and that you take things just a little bit easier. (yeah, right!)
Send you a hug too. :D
Happy with my lot
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic