Autumn Bits and Bobs and something else!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

peter
KG Regular

Saturday was in my personal top five getting soaked outdoors. Rugby Club Fireworks from 7am to 11pm and I'm the all day gatekeeper out front with a gazebo.As dusk fell the intermittent drizzle and gusty winds, which meant the gazebo was packed away late lunchtime before it flew, turned into a steady wind and torrential rain, gate opened at 5pm and customer stream only thickened around half six.
The rain cleared around quarter to seven and the fireworks went up as planned at seven fifteen. Most left afterwards and the spectator area had two inches of slurry across it, with pools in places, it flowed back into footprints.

Sunday helped indoors, my long job was counting wet money. One roll of fivers went splat and we had to dry coins to weigh them. Our last wet year we made about £300 and we were thinking bad thoughts, but also thinking there'd been a lot of people filing past.
Thinking we'd probably just covered our considerable costs, we were amazed to tot up a profit that is two thirds our good weather total. :shock: :D :D :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Monika
KG Regular

You see, Peter, folk are tough. They turn out in all weathers .... Glad it wasn't a total washout after all your work.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Was amongst the first volunteers to start collecting the poppies at the Tower of London. The sky's opened for about five minutes, everyone just carried on. Proud to be British.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Probably getting ahead of myself a little but, i have booked a week in the Peak district, for next year.....I was thinking of going to the Isle of Wight, so i'm sure Motherwoman will now be very relieved. :)

I don't think we have any Peak District members, do we?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Clive.
KG Regular

You may be able to check on the heather seed that I sowed a few years ago working in the thick swirling fog up on Kinder Scout.

There was me broadcasting it like lawn seed across the whole area...to be swiftly told to only do a width 2ft in from the edge of the burnt scar. It would seem that all would germinate and grow but only that in the lea of the existing edge of plants would survive the lifting of the ground by frost over Winter.
We were staying in the Dalehead Bunkhouse, (Basecamp), as it was called then, in Edale.

I wonder if the Rhododendron has reared its head again up on Park Moor..a little trimming down job we were doing that week too. :)

We also bark ringed some pines to let them die and degrade slowly...they had been planted as sacrificial draws around stands of Mountain Ash that would then strengthen as the pines slowly left the hillside.

I also recall trying to walk up the hillside as fast as the local Warden.....big mistake..I am from the more flatlands... I was well winded... :oops: I got told the air was rarer up in the hills....hang on a minute this was Peak District...not the Andes....

Clive.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Afternoon Clive, i will check on your workmanship when there, but i'm confident all will be well.... :)

Nice to read one of your posts, as i have missed them, not putting any pressure on you, of course.... :)

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I live on the northern edge of the Peak Park and regularly go walking there.
Clive must have done a good job with the heather as it has been the best I've ever seen this year. Purple as far as the eye could see in all directions, smelling of honey and covered in bees. Wonderful.
When are you coming OH I'll look out for you :D
Motherwoman
KG Regular

He'll be easy to spot, they make him wear an orange warning flag, socks and boots... :lol:

MW
peter
KG Regular

The waist chain with four six foot chains off it, each attached to a burly minder with an alsatian on a leash, tend to keep people far enough away that the Hannibal Lecter mask goes unnoticed. :twisted:

In reality OH is an average chap who passes unnoticed. He don't half get some stick from us on here. :wink:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I'll be heading up that way in June......And i openly admit, i only get what i deserve..... :)

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A little sad today, we had a lovely young couple move into the village about three years ago. They were always full of smiles and got involved with lots of things that were going on in the village. But sadly they are moving to Kent today, so will be sadly missed.

Funny how certain people can make you feel....

donedigging
KG Regular

OH,
There's nothing sad about moving to Kent
That's were I originally come from..... :)

I'm sure your get some lovely new neighbours :wink:
donedigging
Stephen
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:A little sad today, we had a lovely young couple move into the village about three years ago. They were always full of smiles and got involved with lots of things that were going on in the village. But sadly they are moving to Kent today, so will be sadly missed.

Funny how certain people can make you feel....

How true. Some neighbours are really missed, others can come and go with out you really noticing them.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic