Autumn Bits and Bobs and something else!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

And we wonder if OH will be able to hobble to the freezer, the microwave and then to the armchair where cook will be sitting with her foot up with OH in his pinny eager to serve her :lol:
Hope it all goes well for her and that she's back in the Ladies Football Team soon!
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Maybe she has to rest with the foot elevated and regular cups of tea.

I'm digging again, this is going to give me a sore back, I'll illustrate with a photo. Last year when floods were a problem we didn't get flooded though the water table was so high our septic tank kept filling with rainwater some of which came in from the top and maybe some backed-up along the drain field.

We had to use a chemical toilet for two weeks, when the foul contents of the septic tank had been removed I emptied that underground onion shaped septic tank of rainwater most every-day, the water was discharge down the lane which drains into lower fields.

Why did this all happen ? Because the builders had positioned the tank lid below the lawn and perhaps not done a good job of the drain-field. I'm making a screen of slate off-cuts and will trim them level when the cement bed cures, I'm hoping all the water will now drain past the lid and into a soak-away that I'm digging. That bank actually forms a dam, what a stupid thing to do, if the builders had put a few drains under the bank then the water wouldn't get trapped.

I can't get a machine in without making a mess of the grasses.
Attachments
IMG_0862.JPG
IMG_0862.JPG (168.86 KiB) Viewed 3615 times
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Primrose
KG Regular

Richard, it seems that life in the country in your neck of the woods presents you with some interesting daily challenges. If you were living in an apartment block somewhere ina. Town you :would be missing out on all these Keep Fit challenges :lol:
donedigging
KG Regular

Good evening OH,
Wishing cook the most speediest of recoveries , just so she doesn't have to put up with your cooking for to long :wink:
donedigging
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Donedigging, thank you for your kind words and i will pass them onto Cook. I'm afraid it was a Chinese takeaway last night, mainly because i was running late with work and trying to sort some Village politics out, that was starting to turn very nasty.

I know i probably sound as if i'm quite pushy with cook, but i'm sure she doesn't think that... :)

Cook took a picture of her lunch yesterday, it was just like something you would get in a five star hotel....what a stark difference between private and public health care. When my Mum was in Hospital last year, the food was virtually inedible and we ended up taking meals in.

Now shall i wake cook up to see if she is fit enough to make my breakfast. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

We have had adout 8 lorry loads of top soil tipped on the waste land outside our allotment, when I say top soil I mean I will be in about 10 years time after a lot of work on it, anyway ive spent 3 days barrowing it in to fill 2 more raised beds, im now suffering with a bad back and aching knees, getting old is no good, meanwhile ive had my shed broken into again and my generator taken ive now nothing in the shed worth taking ive informed the police but I would be as well talking to myself they are not a bit interested ive even got the tool they forced the lock with I asked them to send someone to finger print it the reply was " not unless there is blood on it " ive now fitted another padlock with an alarm the last one shorted out after it rained, if I could find out who is doing the breakins there would be blood on the tool, I wanted to spend a couple of nights in the shed but my dearest is not happy about it apart from not being to walk properly at present, then again ive not yet checked my lotto ticket yet but the way things are going I dont think ill bother
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Sorry to hear about the break in and theft robo, as if allotment img isn't hard enough for you you daren't even leave a few tools in a shed.

That would depress me to the point of giving up, people stealing my produce then stealing the tools I use to grow the produce seems a mindless game for people with nothing in their lives.

This takes me back to just after the war when we lived on rations, we grew what we could and kept the house warm with coal that was delivered every month until the coal-house was full and ready for winter.

Stopping others from stealing what we grew and from the coal house was a daily task, or rather a nightly task. My brother and I got locked up for the night for wading into a couple of thieves with a wheelbarrow that had a squeaky wheel. Those buggers were too lazy to even oil the wheel spending their money on beer and cigarettes instead of food.

My view is not a lawful view, thieves have to be aware of consequences.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Now i'm sure none of you will laugh at this but i fell in a pond today today and went under right up to my neck. This was at 8.30am this morning, so i had to return to base to shower and get changed. On my return, the owners and staff found it all very entertaining.... well i suppose it is really.... :)

retropants
KG Regular

oh dear OH! at least the person helping you out didn't carefully stand on your very expensive prescription glasses and break them. (happened to my dad, he course fishes, and fell in a lake last year) He also had his new iphone in his pocket! :shock:
robo
KG Regular

I was fishing with my granson in spain last year, it was 6 in the morning we where on the
banks of the river edbro when my deck chair wobbled and I finnished up having a dip must admit it was refreshing and warm
Elaine
KG Regular

Dear OH. Did you come up with a pocket full of fish???
Happy with my lot
Elaine
KG Regular

Robo, you have my sympathy. Our site had a spate of shed break ins and and vandalism earlier on this year, with over a dozen plots affected....twice in seven weeks. :evil: The police were very helpful, as every plot holder put in a complaint.

They did catch the 5 lads who did the evil deeds which resulted in said lads having to work 100 hours each on the allotments. Not surprisingly, there wasn't many folks who wanted them helping on their plots...apart from the few who said, only if the Police officer would turn his back when the lad was taken into the shed and closed his ears to any screams which might ensue. :twisted: :twisted:

They ended up filling in holes in the roads and shovelling up the stuff used to fill the holes from the truck it came on. A right sulky looking lot they were too.

I thought it was a daft idea...giving them a legitimate reason to be on site and to have a good look at what everyone had in their sheds.

Call me cynical if you like but I wouldn't have trusted any of them as far as I could throw them.
Happy with my lot
Bren
KG Regular

OH .what two washes in one day which did you enjoy best the cold or the hot one?, who was on hand to pull you out, watch out things goes in three's cut finger,pond ,what next.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

No one was there, so a bit of thrashing about was going on to get out....

Cook is really moaning at me now to get a mobile phone, but it wouldn't have been any good yesterday, would it.

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

On about things going wrong in three's for me, i had a phone call this afternoon, wanting to know if i was interested in a pre-paid funeral service... :shock: :)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic