I love most vegetables, but I just can't stand.....

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

retropants
KG Regular

Elaine wrote:Celeriac....shudder
Celery..... cringe
Not too keen on swede or turnip on their own but in stews and casseroles etc,. I don't mind it.

I love young, tender Runner beans and my very favourite vegetables are Brussels Sprouts. I'll eat most anything else really.

Ah, yes celery. Absolutely detest that one :)
Arnie
KG Regular

I don't think iv'e come across a vegetable that I do not like :D but then again I will eat anything that is put on my plate :lol: :lol:

Arnie :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Redfox
KG Regular

I grow most veggies, however, I personally don't like most veggies. I will eat a small amount of most but you will never see me eating sprouts,(shudder) they're horrible. My family all have a good laugh at me because of this.
Westi
KG Regular

Not keen on coriander leaf but like the seeds grinded up. Brussels aren't up the top of my like list either if whole but OK shredded & stir fried. In fact there are so many nice & different recipes on the internet I can usually find a way to prepare most of my take it or leave it vege into something scrummy.

My favourite are squash, pumpkins & sweet potato but it is hit & miss with the sweet potatoes!

Westi
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

Thank you for the advice on a possible sweetcorn to grow, Plumpudding, but our allotment is really exposed (we can see 6 miles in one direction and 12 miles in the other and have just lost the leaves on our climbing beans in the weekend winds), so anything slightly tender tends to struggle. And as my OH doesn't like sweetcorn anyway, I am not too bothered.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Diane wrote:Coriander....yuk and double yuk !

I can have coriander with everything, I love it but it goes soapy. Then I hate coriander from stores because it's always soapy.

Curries without coriander have something missing.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
alan refail
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:I can have coriander with everything, I love it but it goes soapy. Then I hate coriander from stores because it's always soapy.

Curries without coriander have something missing.

Reminds me of the occasion, over half a century ago when we went to one of the first Indian restaurants in Leeds. Excellent food, but we had to have a word with the waiter about what we saw as parsley.
Me - Has this parsley been washed in soapy water and not rinsed?
Waiter - No, sir, that is Dhania - coriander!
Me - :oops: :oops:

I use it all the time in my Indian, Middle Eastern, Thai and Chinese cooking. Always have to have it growing throughout the year.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Try this article on coriander/cilantro.

http://blog.23andme.com/23andme-researc ... tic-trait/
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

A very interesting read though didn't it miss the point that some varieties of coriander get soapy more quickly as the plant ages and, I need to throw this to Alan, some varieties are soapy-er than others.

Having said that I'm not suggesting that the study was a waste of time if it kept a few people off the streets, I'll be looking for a similar study about cabbage dislike though whatever the findings of the study on the ethnic and olfactory reasons I'll go for dinner ladies.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
WestHamRon
KG Regular

Motherwoman wrote:Try this article on coriander/cilantro.

http://blog.23andme.com/23andme-researc ... tic-trait/

Thanks for that.
I've always loved coriander but have found parsley to be tasteless.
Anyone else ?
Motherwoman
KG Regular

I've tried coriander leaf just the once... couldn't get rid of the taste for hours even though I spat it out.

I grow loads of parsley (flat leaf and curly) and love the smell and the taste of it. Parsley sauce with fish or gammon, chopped parsley in all tomato based sauces and meals, yum :D

Love celery too. With cream cheese and a sprinkle of sea salt.

Himself loathes beetroot which leaves it all for me! I suggested that we use the leaves as a veg and got 'a look'. :(

MW
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

WestHamRon wrote:I've always loved coriander but have found parsley to be tasteless.
Anyone else ?

Ron, there are different types of parsley that taste different. I grow an Italian flat leaf which is bitter/sweet. Lovely, new potaotes with a nob of butter and chopped parsley. The common-or-garden parsley isn't nearly as nice as this Italian flat leaf.

And I'm not a fan of Fiat. :D
Richard.
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Brussels sprouts are really nasty. I absolutely love all my other greens, though. For years I ate Brussels sprouts out of a sense of duty or something, but I've decided that enough's enough and they are politely eschewed. And yes, I know about cooking times, and shredding them with bacon, and all that folderol, but none of these things disguise the fact that they're still sprouts.
Parsnips, though, are toxic to me. I gag at the smell of them, and the foliage gives me blisters.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Primrose
KG Regular

I know a lot of people can t stand boiled Brussels sprouts but thinly sliced and quickly stir fried the flavour is completely different. Mi!m not sure sure what seems to cause this chemical flavour change but wonder if anybody else has found the same. Possibly the result of being cooked quickly I not oil where the sweetness is sealed in rather than being stewed in boiling water for much longer where the chemical composition is changed in some way?
Primrose
KG Regular

Currently on holiday walking along a pebble beach area and seeing all the sea cabbage I wondered whether any anybody has ever tried eating it, and now they cook it? The leaves look very tough.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic