Home grown cucumbers

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

I,m intrigued to know whether the full length home grown cucumbers have the same crisp crunchy texture as the "miniI" varieties which I,m current growing and which are as crisp and crunchy as biting Into a ripe juicy apple. Do the full length varieties have tis same texture? All the shop bought ones I've eaten are limp and devoid of any texture at all.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

If you don't let them get too large - pick them before the seeds start getting large, they are lovely and crunchy and have a much better flavour than bought ones. Different varieties have slightly different flavours, but they are definitely superior to shop ones, which are probably given a lot more water so they grow faster and weigh more.

I've grown just one of the larger varieties this year - I think it is Femspot, Fem something anyway - and it compares pretty well with the small varieties. It is very prolific and you certainly don't need more than one plant.
Tigger
KG Regular

I would agree. Mini cucumbers and full size ones are one of those vegetables that feature alongside broad beans, peas and tomatoes (which are a fruit, I know) that have an exceptional taste when home grown.

I love mini cues. We've had at least 40 from 3 grafted plants so far this year.
AlexMason
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING is absolutely right.
Pick the cucumbers before the seed grow large and make cucumbers less tasty.
retropants
KG Regular

what's the best type of mini-cuke please, out of interest? all our normal sized ones are sooooo big this year, it's not funny!
Lauralou
KG Regular

I've never grown mini ones but considering it for next year as like retropants says our normal ones are pretty big this year!
Primrose
KG Regular

I,ve grown several varieties, Patio Pik, Mini or whatever small variety seed packet I can find in the garden centre. To be honest they've all done equally well. Mine have been grown in an outside south facing border. I think the secret is to plant the roots in a big hole of good compost, water well and keep them misted in dry weather. They nearly all crop prolifically so you can pick them often and always have nice crisp cucumbers that don't have time to go limp in the fridge.. They're definitely on my annual "must grow" list. They make a lovely Bulgarian type salad chopped with tomatoes, a small amount of red onion, , feta cheese and a vinaigrette dressing. They're also good cut in strips in Chinese stir fries or used in dips.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic