Mid Summer Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well. i don't know what it is like elsewhere around the country but, here it is hot and steamy.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
alan refail
KG Regular

Wet :D :D :D :D :D
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
peter
KG Regular

Very hot, oh and a bit steamy. :wink:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Bren
KG Regular

I woke in the early hours to heavy rain and loud thunder, got up at 8am to a very wet morning and it rained all day with thunder and lighting till half 4, the sun shone then for the rest of the afternoon.
The rain was very welcome as the soil on the allotment was like dust.
Bren
Clive.
KG Regular

The weather looked rather threatening at times this morning...we did drive on about a mile long section of wet road on our travels today but that was all...so far.

Trip to Louth this morning then back home via Kenwick Nursery for coffee then to Cottage Nurseries, Thorsethorpe, bought a couple of Asters and on to lunch at Alford Windmill.

Very hot this afternoon so retreated from any gardening but have picked and shelled some Broad Beans this evening.

Hot and steamy....4 bags of best horse manure with some straw and shavings collected today and deposited on the compost heap tonight. :)

Clive.
Geoff
KG Regular

Apart from the temperature this should have been Early Autumn B&B - in a thick fog this morning, can barely see beyond the end of the garden. Did have some much needed rain yesterday.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Clive, i'm glad to read you still manage to fit the odd trip in now and again, as i know you are always very busy at work.

Hope all is well, up your neck of the woods.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

Yesterday (saturday) was wet but nothing like as forecast which is a bummer as we cancelled a fishing trip as I dont like being out at sea when its lightening to the extent of the forecast today is dull and overcast but still time for some sunshine
Monika
KG Regular

Yes, rain at last early yesterday, 18mm, which isn't a lot but has certainly wetted the surface. We are still watering the plants which most need it because the forecast for the next few days is for hot and dry weather.

Like the other allotmenteers around us, our pea harvest has been virtually nil. The peas grew to about 15" and then the leaves became yellow and dried up. It obviously wasn't the seed that was the problem because in the garden at home they performed perfectly well. It was presumably just the lack of water.
peter
KG Regular

Drippingly hot all day until a rumbley grumbley thunderstorm arrived around 5pm with rain following a bit behind.
My terrace building project is progressing well, complicated, but it started with the need to reroute the rain water drain and construct a new soakaway.
soakaway is a cubic metre of four "crates" bottom left, a good footn underneath the grass fringed different coloured square.
Attachments
terrace.jpg
terrace.jpg (113.55 KiB) Viewed 4746 times
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
robo
KG Regular

Ive grown 2 different varieties of pease this year both from the real sead company one is lord Leicester the other is telephone both grow over 6 feet tall one of them will go to 8 feet and they are, I have had pease for mad dogs even being away for 3 weeks has not made a difference I told a few friends down the plot to help themselves during my absence which they have, only problem I can find is they are not as sweet as what I expect from home grown pease maybe I am asking to much
Westi
KG Regular

Robo - you've just ignited my pea envy again! :D :D

Westi
Westi
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Monika wrote:Yes, rain at last early yesterday, 18mm, which isn't a lot but has certainly wetted the surface. We are still watering the plants which most need it because the forecast for the next few days is for hot and dry weather.

Like the other allotmenteers around us, our pea harvest has been virtually nil. The peas grew to about 15" and then the leaves became yellow and dried up. It obviously wasn't the seed that was the problem because in the garden at home they performed perfectly well. It was presumably just the lack of water.

Peas have been terrible down here as well.
My plot neighbour, who usually has a massive crop every year, had to sow one row 4 times before anything germinated. Even then he only got a few peas coming up.
I had 2 x 25ft rows growing nicely, spent loads of money on new netting for them, and the peas promptly went downhill. Managed to get a couple of small pickings, but they were the most expensive peas I've ever grown :roll:
I've yet to hear of any success with peas on our site this year.
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
robo
KG Regular

All my pease seem to be dieing they have all turned white im not happy I think they have been getting to much sun even though ive watered them every evening
alan refail
KG Regular

Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic