Early Summer Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

peter
KG Regular

Hurrah! :D

Soakaway is now buried.
Got rained on, again, but can now contiue with some terracing, first I'll need to relocate my alpine garden - a planted up full size butler sink.,
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Breautiful morning here this morning, been picking veg like a man possesed. :)

Forgot how quiet and peaceful Milton Bryant was!...until i get up that is... :)

Evenin' OH,

How was your Kentish trip? I trust you enjoyed our weather.
We finally had some rain today :)
Cheers PJ.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long...........
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Evening PJ, I really did enjoy the Kentish trip, and the Kentish people are very oblidging, i must say. The only disappointment was, i didn't get to meet you... but i seem to have that effect on our forum members... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Hi OH,

We were expecting you and even arranged the Lydd carnival in your honour :D

I'm sure we could have found you a few jobs on the allotment site :D
Cheers PJ.

Monika
KG Regular

We experienced a rather strange weekend with our village completely cut off from traffic on Saturday and partially so yesterday because of the Tour de France. We didn't go to see any of it, just saw and heard the helicopters from home and the allotment, but it appears to have brought out all the crowds and all seemed to have had a great time.

I hope you all enjoyed seeing Yorkshire in glorious sunshine and have fun if you are living on/near the Cambridge - London stage today!
peter
KG Regular

My wife is a volunteer marshal in North Weald High Street today.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

Parsons Jack
KG Regular

Bit miserable and windy weather today. Feels quite chilly :(

My neighbour came round this morning and helped me demolish an old wooden gazebo that was in danger of falling down. Left me with quite a nice base in the corner of the garden.

Shall I get another shed? Do I need another shed? Can you ever have enough sheds :lol:
Cheers PJ.

Shallot Man
KG Regular

Parsons Jack.Get another shed. Somewhere to hide when the Memsahib is going through the spring clean flush. :wink:
robo
KG Regular

Got back in the early hours from our few weeks away, been down to the plot this morning wow what a difference a few weeks make, broad beans in abundance, pease that beat my wildest dreams, my onions are the envy of the other plotters I dont know what ive done but it was right, raspberries, blackcurrants, courgettes, im gobsmacked, on the down side ive found 3 butterflies on the wrong side of my netting, most of my cauliflowers have gone to seed but my cabbage are looking good
Monika
KG Regular

Glad you are safely back, Robo. You must have had some rain whilst you were away to make everything grow so well!
I spent almost four hours this morning just watering - other than a short downpour during the night 4/5 July, there has been no rain for weeks now. I have given up on the peas on the allotment : they are just short, yellow and shrivelled. The home ones were brill and so are the broad beans (both at home and on the allotment), but I am hoping that all my watering will at least mean the brassicas, leeks, French and runner beans etc keep going.
We have had some good broccoli without any caterpillar damage, but there is no second growth.
robo
KG Regular

Hi monica, every thing is bone dry one of the mates down the allotment has been watering the pollytunnel but the rest must have had rain on it , ive spent this morning and tonight watering the rest of the plot but all the spud tops are dead but seems to be right across the allotment
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Got the village fete tomorrow, at the big house where i work on a Friday.
I went along and cut all the lawns yesterday, as i have got a little behind with the work this year. Well i'm glad i did because it's chucking it down with rain at the moment. But tomorrow looks a lot brighter, so that's good news.

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Each summer I feel very fortunate compared to you allotment people when it comes to water and even though nothing compares with a good downpour, when you need it, being able to hose everything down makes life easy though like most of you I'm scared to leave my plants to neighbours.

I used to do it, keep everything sopping wet-through and loosing lavenders. Then I started loosing plants by letting them dry out, I now have a nice collection of clay pots for around the house. Clay pots dry very quickly, nice in wet weather.

The ground is so dry and hard that moles are only digging where I've broken new ground with sand and composted materials, I can't get moles traps to sit nicely in lovely loose soil. Moles swim through it.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
peter
KG Regular

Sorry about the rsin OH, tipped it down here from Weds evening, probably my fault for taking some days off work to do gardening projects. :(

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

So you are to blame then Peter. :)

Got soaked this morning, but at least it has stopped at the moment.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic