Its that Time

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A pair of Swallows in Cooks stable, yesterday, and just heard the Cuckoo, now, so very happy.

Cook doesn't live in the stable by the way, i do let her in the house. :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Swallows arriving daily with a flock which flew in yesterday and the count last night was 29 so there is an unpaired bird. Those that came over the weekend (2 pairs) are nesting already. There are still some more to come I hope.
JB.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Still no swallows here.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Geoff
KG Regular

Saw three yesterday evening but initially no sign this morning so I thought they were migrants passing through, we see hundreds going South in the Autumn, but now they are inspecting the garage where they usually nest so I shall record them as back.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Could we have Grouse in Milton Bryan?

I saw a pair of birds the other day that flew into land, in the field behind us.
They didn't glide in like pheasants or partridge do, but seemed to carry on flapping there wings until they landed. Anyway, they were slightly smaller than a pheasant, but the same sort of markings as a hen pheasant. they were more like the size of a partridge but not as squat. They were feeding and acting nothing like a pheasant either. To add a little more to the story, an old boy that has been coming for walks around the village for years and years, stopped at my Mums little stall a couple of days after my sighting. And asked her how long we had had Grouse in the village! i'm not sure how knowledgable he is on birds, but it got me thinking.

So does anyone know if there are any Grouse in Bedfordshire, as i would very interested to know.

WestHamRon
KG Regular

If there are, they would be Famous oh. :wink:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Now i like that. :)

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

It would be lovely for you to have grouse roaming around though the cynic in me would be concerned about those who love to shoot anything, freely, regarded as game.

We have wild pheasant at our bird feeder picking up the droppings, comment from an occasional visitor was that we were so lucky to have a meal at the end the garden.

A meal ?
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
peter
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Could we have Grouse in Milton Bryan?
So does anyone know if there are any Grouse in Bedfordshire, as i would very interested to know.

I dunno about that, but I heard there was in Milton Bryan a Famous Grouser, prepared to grouse about anything! :twisted:

I'll get me hat. :oops:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Arnie
KG Regular

I think OH has had one two many Famous Grouse :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Regards

Arnie :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
robo
KG Regular

In england where we live we get very little wild life a few sparrows and blackbirds , wood pigeons that sort of thing here in spain where we spend a lot of time its totally the opposite the other day I had swallows swooping when I was strimming the field , we have just had a fox walk past the end of our flyfree patio we get wild boar, snakes, very big toads that you do not go near, eagles, we have also seen a lynx and rumour has it that a wolf has been seen a couple of times we also have woodpeckers in large numbers ive only ever seen 2 in england to be honest it was wales, we have nasty things as well like scorpions and a fly that is a cross between a fruit fly and a tiger they bite like buggery leave you with blood running down you arms and legs hence the flyfree patio we get mosquitoes as well but mainly on the river, we are not near the holiday maker spain and are half way up a mountain but we are surrounded by fruit trees and olive trees it is so different from our home in the industrial part of the north at least we did have industry at one time
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Thank you for your thoughts gentlemen...... :)

I must admit i'm not convinced they are Grouse, i'm hoping somebody else might see them, to see what they think they are.

Sandyback
KG Regular

I've never heard of Grouse in that sort of area, I'll be honest and say some sort of dove from how the description the landing, possibly Collared Dove.
I spotted my Swallow on Saturday 19th and heard the Cuckoo on the 22nd.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Sandyback, it was that sort of landing, but they were too long in the neck and too speckled for collard doves!

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

House martins have arrived here but no swallows and not heard a cuckoo yet.
Your southern grouse sighting reminded me of our last visit to the reserve at Spurn when some excited anglers rushed up to tell us about a lot of penguins that were just off shore. They turned out to be Little Auk!

As bad as the Look North presenter yesterday who said that a lot of "marine" life had been killed by the polluted water going into the Leeds canal following the fire.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic