Early Spring Bits and Bobs.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A very warm welcome to the forum Lauralou..... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Going for some more slug pellets. During the night a slug has eaten through three quarters of a tray of pricked out petunia seedlings in the propagator. I can't find it, so it might be hiding ready to finish the rest of tonight.
retropants
KG Regular

lost all my sprout seedlings to a big fat snail yesterday, which promptly learned how to fly over the garage roof.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I was up in the night doing a little lambing, as a ewe in the paddock was in a little distress. Now this is something i haven't done for many years, but i do like to keep my hand in.

Probably not the best choice of words. :)

Primrose
KG Regular

Dear OH. you are obviously a good man to have around in a crisis. You seem to be able to turn your hand to almost anything, if you will excuse the pun, :D Hope the new arrival is doing well
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

It was twins, and they are doing well! At least while i was holding her hoof, she was unable to leave huge fingernail indentations in the back of my hand, like Cook did. Now that seems a long time ago. :)

If i can't do someone a good turn, i'll try my hardest not to do them bad one.

Monika
KG Regular

Well done, OH. I hope the ewe appreciated your help! I understand they don't always.

Our allotment is surrounded by ewes and lambs at the moment. I was watching one lamb yesterday getting closer and closer to an oystercatcher (they breed on the slopes next to the field), obviously very curious about the funny black and white creature. At the last moment the bird took off and I swear I could see a look of surprise on the lamb's little face ....

Planted the first early potatoes (Rocket) in the ground but covered them up with fleece because we could certainly still get frosts until early June.

Chiffichaffs have been about for more than a week nowand a blackcap arrived today!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Rather miserable out there this morning, busy potting up plants in the greenhouse, so just popped in for a coffee....

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Just been over the allotment and pulled some soil up over the emerging potato tops, ready for the predicted grass frost.

alan refail
KG Regular

Looks like you're in for a few chilly nights in Bedfordshire, OH. Forecast cold here too tonight, but milder after that.

Brilliantly sunny here today - cut 3/4 acre of grass.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Alan, sounds as if you deserve a large supper. :)

Been a beautiful day here too! Got loads of those little jobs done that always seem to get left, so i feel rather contented.

Clive.
KG Regular

Had a time on Sunday catching up in the garden at home...have now got all the Potatoes in, then the Early Onward Peas and a few salad rows sown.

Had a ride out to Cottage Nursery at Thoresthorpe on Saturday after mowing the Church grass in the morning. Tea was taken at Alford Windmill....and on Sunday tea was at Sibsey Trader Mill.. :)
Thank you to 'Tash' for looking after things at work :)

A new bit of plane spotting last week we had one of those CV22 Osprey fly by...

...and today a Swallow was sighted.

Looking out East I see a large bright moon climbing into the clear sky.......

Clive.
Compo
KG Regular

Just to say hi to all, as I have no posted here for a while, various health and other issues have got in the way but now all is well. Just put my first earlies in, and have a bundle of stuff growing away in the allotment greenhouse.

Just thought I would say hi to you all and hope to get on here a bit more often.

Dave
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Clive, a busy time of the year, isn't it! Everything seems to suddenly take off, so glad you managed to get out for a brew....a very welcome break i would imagine.

Morning Compo, sorry to read all has not been well for you! But very nice to see you back on the forum, you have been missed.
Sounds like you are going to be busy with your greenhouse full of growing stuff.

Monika
KG Regular

Hello, Clive and Compo (nice to have you back) - it's a grand time of the year, isn't it?

We worked on the allotment most of the day today, mainly getting things ready rather than putting things into the soil yet (frost last night and forecast for tonight again), but it all looks very tidy now with the post in for our long broad bean and pea rows, all weeds hoed off and large clods broken down, paths mowed and edged. How is that?

By the way, Clive, we used to have the occasional lunch in Alford windmill, always very enjoyable. Once when we were on the top floor of the mill, the sails started turning and it was a strangest and eerie noise.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic