Fifty years ago today...

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

alan refail
KG Regular

...we caught the bus to Leeds Register Office and got married. 6d each for the fare, five shillings for the licence, and got married. Cheap meal in a Chinese restaurant afterwards, then home to bed! No fuss, no expense, no honeymoon, and we are still as happy together as ever. It was a fine Saturday morning then and it is crisp and sunny today :)

Over breakfast this morning we were discussing how these days so many spend so much on lavish weddings and are divorced within a few years. We concluded that the length of a marriage is in inverse proportion to the amount of money spent on ceremony.

Then we open the paper and find that Rowan Williams has been saying the very same thing. A strange coincidence.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religio ... liams.html
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Alan, congratulations to you both, and i hope you have many, many more happy years together.

It was on the radio too, about the money spent on weddings, and the little time they can last.

My wedding was much the same as yours, Alan, the only difference being, i wasn't sure which bride was going to turn up. :) Only joking, if any new members don't know me. :wink:
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

Congratulations!
Couldn't agree more on the stupidity of lavish weddings, not often (maybe a first) when I agree with one of the men in frocks. Keep hinting at son to go and get married on a beach somewhere and tell us when it is done with. I would have thought raising a deposit or even just kitting out a rented property was more important than a wedding reception. Of course we wouldn't have our future queen without the gullible funding her parents so we might have got one of the usual inbreeds.
I went to a golden wedding celebration a couple of weeks ago that must have cost as much as a modest wedding reception so perhaps it's spreading.
alan refail
KG Regular

For our 25th we went to Hong Kong. Today we went to Porthmadog :!: :!:
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I love your wedding tale Alan, mine could have been like yours. Our wedding was taken over by her father because we were expecting. At a a guess we had 70 plus people of whom 65 were a complete mystery, I hated my wedding.

My first innings lasted 30 years, by that time I had helped raise three daughters to adults. Peace only came in my second innings though the only thing I regret is allowing THAT wedding.

Thanks for sharing.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

So the saying, age brings wisdom, is true, Alan. :)

Arnie
KG Regular

Congratulations Alan :D Hope your having a great day :)

Regards

Arnie :wink:
I've learned.... That the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am.
Monika
KG Regular

Congratulations, Alan, and I hope you enjoy many more years together!

For our "do" almost 40 years ago (albeit the second time round for both of us) we just had my secretary and her husband as witnesses and took them out for lunch, then took all our six children for an evening feed at a motorway service station which was a great thrill for them and not too costly for us!
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Congratulations Alan.

Himself and I haven't bothered with a ceremony at all... so I guess we're in for the voluntary long haul!

We were witnesses for some very dear friends 4 years ago, who are in later life shall we say, and decided to get hitched after years of living together. Quick trip to the Registry Office and their dog came out of the car for the photos! Then a good lunch in the pub, just the 5 of us.

MW
Primrose
KG Regular

Congratulations Alan and many more years to come. We are trailing a little behind you but our wedding was fairly modest too and I recall my home made wedding dress cost £3.10 (old money , pre decimalisation !) to make. We started off married life with a bed, a cooker, a table and four chairs and never seemed to miss all the modern appliances which people today seem to think they can't possibly manage without. It's a sad reflection on modern times that the instant gratification culture doesn't seem to have increased the happiness or longevity of many marriages.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Primrose, we started with all secondhand furniture, either kindly given or bought. But a few years ago, i offered a young couple a nice piece of furniture, but got a big no thank you, we want all new......

Motherwoman
KG Regular

Most of the fun came from making second-hand furniture your own. I scraped old brown varnish off of chairs, taught myself to re-rush seats following instructions from a book, and took up patchwork for cushions. Kept me busy as we had no telly!

MW
Primrose
KG Regular

and I recall a lot of winter evenings, before we bought a TV sitting there making Readicut rugs. Does anybidy remember them? they were all the rage at one time. I expect they have long since become unfashionable and I doubt if the company even exists any more
Bren
KG Regular

Alan belated congratulations hoping you had a lovely day and wishing you many more years together.
It would be 60 years this coming June for me but sadly Jim passed to his heavenly home 6 years ago 7th Jan. We had a modest wedding about 30 people as we had saved a deposit for our semi which I am still living in.

Bren
Gerry
KG Regular

Congratulations Alan and may you both have many more happy years ahead. We went to Criccieth and the car broke down on the way. It was an old Ford Popular.
Regards, Gerry.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic